Hard to start '87 4Trax

Old 12-29-09, 10:31 AM
Hard to start '87 4Trax

I have an 87 Honda FourTrax 250. It runs fine, but getting it started is a problem. I can't get it to start without first priming the carburetor. Once it starts once, it will start just fine the rest of the day. The choke operates fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-09, 07:32 PM
By priming it you're spraying starter fluid in the carb throat or feeding some gasoline down it manually?

This being the case, does it start well with the priming?

If it does, your choke circuit in the carb is plugged or inoperative. You can try cleaning it with Sea Foam and if that doesn't work a dismantling for a thorough cleaning is in order.

Old 12-29-09, 07:38 PM
I just spray a little carb cleaner in and it starts right up. Starts real easy. Can I clean it with Sea Foam without taking it apart. If so, how do I do this? Where do I get Sea Foam, an auto part supply?

Old 12-29-09, 08:32 PM
Auto part stores or Walmarts.

Use double of the recommended in a gallon (about 4 ounces), run the engine about five minutes, then throw the choke on for a minute and if that doesn't kill it, shut it off and let it sit for an hour.

Then start it back up and work the choke on and off a few times. See if you get any response from the the choking. If not, I"d put a kit in it and give it a good cleaning.

Old 12-29-09, 09:08 PM
I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 12-31-09, 10:21 PM
Used the Sea Foam just like you said. The bike starts in the coldest weather now. I'm up and running. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-01-10, 05:40 AM
Glad to hear it all worked out.

Oklahoma - we're in an ice box up here in Iowa right now - I'll be right down !!

Take care