110 cc go cart

Old 01-02-10, 08:10 PM
110 cc go cart

I bought a used 110cc go cart for my kids. I have seen the motor referred to as a GY6 or Chinese Honda clone. It has a semi auto trans with 3 forward gears. It cranks fine but runs a little rough and smokes a lot at times especially in first gear when the pedal is to the floor. Smoke comes out of the muffler and out of a pipe just above the crankcase. There is also a small amount of oil coming out of both places. What could the problem be?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-10, 03:15 PM
Check the oil & see if it's over full or smells like gas.. Maybe even change it anyway if you don't know what it has in it for oil... Start with that & hope it's not a broken ring or something else inside.... Good Luck... Roger

Old 01-05-10, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
hopkinsr2 +. Changing the oil never hurts and the smoking problem could be caused simply by too much oil. If that does not take care of it you might have a stuck or broken piston ring. Luckily the rings are not difficult or expensive for a small engine repairman to fix.

The smoke out the exhaust is probably oil getting up into the combustion chamber and being burned which means the oil is getting by the rings somehow. The other tube is your crank case breather. This vents pressure in the lower part of the engine case. Excessive smoke & oil blowing out the tube means combustion gasses are getting by the rings and down into the engine case.

Old 01-05-10, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the feedbck. I'm going to start by changing the oil and keep my fingers crossed! I don't have a manual so I checked online and they suggest 15w40 oil, would you guys agree with that for this engine? If it is the rings, which I fear it may be after reading the feedback, is that something that a novice tinkerrer could do? I'llet you know how it goes when I get to it.

Old 01-05-10, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
If you are handy and have tools rings are not a bad job. It will involve taking the engine apart which is not a bad job but if you are not comfortable doing it, it would be better to just take it to a back yard small engine mechanic. It's also a good job for a high school auto shop.

The only specialized tool you might need is a ring compressor but they are cheap to buy and you might be able to borrow or rent one from a parts store. The other problem will be getting the correct rings. You will need to find out what the engine takes or disassemble the engine and measure what's in there and order/buy replacements.