1992 Polaris trail boss 250 4x4

Old 01-29-10, 07:53 PM
1992 Polaris trail boss 250 4x4

1992 Polaris Trail boss? 250 4x4 2 stroke. Flip switch 4x4 with L-N-H-R automatic transmission. Unsure of the exact make there are no actual name decals on the machine other than the engine size.

We just purchased this ATV last summer for our kids and ever since we got it it never seemed to go real fast which is fine for my kids, but I never had a Polaris 4x4 before this one so I was unsure if the speed was right. When we have it in high gear it seems like it is winding out at approximately 15-20 mph.. Its almost impossible to ride because the engine is really going and your barely moving so we dont ride it no more until we can figure out what is wrong. Im guessin it could be a bad clutch? But I really have no experience with Polaris ATVs so could use some advice.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-10, 06:53 AM
At that speed you're not coming out of low gear. Will it go into reverse?

See if you can come up with more numbers off of it for an ID.

Old 01-30-10, 10:11 AM
Yes I can shift into every gear, including reverse. 4x4 works too. High gear range is the only problem gear so far. I'll take a look today for serial numbers.

Old 01-30-10, 07:52 PM
It is indeed a Polaris Trail Boss 250 (1992) is there anything I can do to fix the problem of it not shifting or does it need a new trans?

Old 01-31-10, 07:25 AM
My first thought would be a clutch. I would check the shifting linkages to make sure the shift is moving properly at the transmission. Then I would warm the little beast up and drain the oil from the tranny. Then stir the oil you've drained out with a magnet to check for metal filings/pieces. If nothing there, it's probably a clutch drive.

From there it depends how far into it you want to go yourself.

Old 01-31-10, 11:02 AM
Thanks I will start there and post my findings. You said warm it up and then drain, is there any specific reason for warming it up first or? Just curious so I do things right. Thanks!

Old 01-31-10, 12:55 PM
It's to stir up the oil in the tranny to get any filings to suspend and come out with the oil.

Old 02-27-10, 12:25 PM
It not going to shift once you have it in one of these gears. there is no foot shifter its just full automatic 250 cc
Its prob going a little faster than you state but it wont go much faster being a 250cc.
Is it chain drive?