1991 artic cat ext 550 special

Old 02-13-10, 09:48 AM
1991 artic cat ext 550 special

sled ran for a half mile strech then i turned around and it stopped running, but i could get it back running but it would not go any where it would only get up to 2000 rpm. then i let it sit for about an hour and went and started it up and it drove fine except when it first started out i had to feather the gas alittle before it got going good. then i parked the sled and it will not start. it was left over night then it started up with one pull. then i ran it for a little bit at 8-9000 rpm and it "dogged" out and quit running.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-10, 10:29 AM
Really sounds like fuel flow to the carbs. That could be out of the tank/ filter/cap venting - or fuel pump. Once you get to the carbs in sufficient flow there will be the float valve allowing fuel into the bowls.

What are your plugs like? If you get a lot of extra fuel into the cylinders it can be an indication of a ruptured pump diaphragm filling the crankcase from the pulse port.

Your problem seems to be more of an insufficient fuel.

Old 02-14-10, 12:09 PM
would putting the wronge oil in for injection oil do that

Old 02-14-10, 01:14 PM
Yeah, i could see where if you had mixed a heavy motor oil with gas, it could cause that type of running problem. Your combustion would be out of whack and everything through the carb would be affected.

It should straighten right out, though, with the right oil, assuming it hadn't been ran too long and the plugs weren't fouled.

What did you have in it?

Old 02-14-10, 01:29 PM
some type of 2 stroke oil mixed with some articat injection oil i think formula 50 or something like that

Old 02-14-10, 03:32 PM
That's really not enough of a difference to cause the problem if you were running it through the injecto lube. Back to the fuel flow thing.