86 Harley/Columbia golf cart

Old 02-20-10, 01:52 PM
86 Harley/Columbia golf cart

I'm trying to replace the electronic ignition with a points conversion kit on a 86 Columbia Par Car. Cost to replace the ignition module is about $240 compared to $40 for the conversion kit. I've removed the ignition module but I'm not sure how to install the points conversion. The points and condenser are attached to a round, flat plate that attaches to the flywheel. Directions say to remove the plastic cam lobe, gap the points to .015-.016 and connect the points to the - side of the coil with small gauge wire. I removed a plastic rotor over the camshaft assuming this is the plastic cam lobe referred to. I also assume that the timing can be set the same as it was with the electronic module, by rotating the assembly until a spark occurs, then secure it at that point. Is this correct? Where do I connect the small gauge wire to the points so that I may connect to the coil? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Engine VIN is 5K21127C6
Harley Davidson/Columbia Par Car 1986

Last edited by mmattingly; 02-20-10 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-10, 08:34 AM
Is this an actual conversion for the 86??? or the points set-up for the older harleys.. If it's for the older ones, the points were in the flywheel cover outside of the flywheel.. If the electronic one was CDI you'll need a coil as the CDI coil won't work with points.. The timing is set using a dial indicator & an ohmmeter... Verify this is a conversion kit or is it only a points & condensor kit for older carts... Roger

Old 02-22-10, 07:00 PM
They call it a conversion kit on the website. There is a picture at this site

Convertion Kits: Golf Cart Care

I've actually got it installed now and it runs. I attached a small wire to the contact where the condenser wire connects, then attached it to the coil. Is it OK to wire it like that?

The cart doesn't have alot of power going uphill. It seems to be running OK and not missing. I checked compression and it was almost 120 psi. Is that too much compression? I checked the muffler and it's not blocked. I've had it jacked up and running and it responds good to the throttle after it warms up. This is my first attempt at working on a golf cart, so any help is appreciated.

Old 02-23-10, 08:13 PM
120 PSI compression is excellent.. I've never done one of these conversions... Have you adjusted the ign timing with the dial gauge yet??? If not, do it,, you'll probably find a lot more power,,, Also remember that the points system doesent have the spark timing advance system that the electronic system had built into it... If you call the company that sold it to you,, hopefully they have Tech Support to help you... Roger

Old 02-24-10, 07:46 PM
Thanks for your help, Roger. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know how to use a dial gauge, but I'll do some research online and talk to some people to find out.