'05 Arctic Cat 500 broken bolt

Old 02-27-10, 07:46 PM
'05 Arctic Cat 500 broken bolt

Well, it is not a broken bolt. It is a broken welded nut. The nut is in a channel that is welded to the main frame and it is where the main bolt that holds the footrest to the frame screws in to the nut. I have cut the bolt away and removed the footrest to get to the channel or box. Now I have a nut with the piece of bolt in this channel. I can not get it out nor do I have any idea on how to fix it. I did talk to the dealer repair shop about a year ago. They said they drill out the hole to get the nut out, but I don't know how to fix it after that.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Frank
:USAF:

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-10, 04:11 PM
Fixing it is pretty easy with a couple of tools. One would be the drill they mentioned and other would be a welder. Without both I would just have a welding shop do it. You'd probably have thirty dollars in it.

To clarify your predicament, though - you have a nut with the threads stripped or otherwise bad inside a channel with the channel inaccessible from the outside, where the footrest bolts on? You have, to this point cut off the bolt flush with the outside?

The simplest fix, that would work as good as new will be to drill out the nut/channel and fit another nut with comparable threads in the hole and weld it in place. It really shouldn't cost a lot to have that done since you have everything out the way.

Old 02-28-10, 07:04 PM
marbobj,
Thanks for the advice. I will try it and hope it works.