Honda ATC won't start

Old 03-22-10, 07:40 PM
Question Honda ATC won't start

I have a honda 200es (big red) atc. It has been running rich since I have had it. I was riding it around about 2 weeks ago with no problems. I turned it off and left it for about 2 hours, when I went to restart it, it would just turn and turn w/out firing, it sputtered once after turning it over about 30 times. It's getting good spark and plenty of fuel. Just won't start. I took off the carb and cleaned it out, but it still won't fire. I don't want to spend a lot on it, but am willing to spend a little to get it going again. Could the ATC possibly have jumped time or is it more likely a carb problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-10, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
You said it is running rich. Have you adjusted it to the proper mixture? Since it ran until you turned it off and it was able to sputter and you say it is getting spark I would focus on the carb. How does the spark plug look?

Old 03-23-10, 05:57 PM
I have been cleaning the spark plug about once every 2 or 3 hours of ride time, gets covered in carbon/soot. How would I adjust it to the proper mixture? If the carb was flooding right from the get-go, would that cause it not to start at all? It is a 4 stroke.

Old 03-23-10, 06:22 PM
Replace the plug , Clean the carb & adjust the float level & look real close @the needle & seat.. ... Also adjust the valve clearance... How clean is the air filter???? Roger

Old 03-23-10, 07:25 PM
Okay.. how do I adjust the float level and valve clearance? What exactly am I looking for at the needle and seat? OH, YEAH AND AFTER I TRY TO START IT ABOUT 3 OR 4 TIMES, GAS COMES SQUIRTING OUT OF WHERE THE AIR FILTER GOES

Last edited by sparkant; 03-23-10 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by sparkant View Post
Okay.. how do I adjust the float level and valve clearance? What exactly am I looking for at the needle and seat? OH, YEAH AND AFTER I TRY TO START IT ABOUT 3 OR 4 TIMES, GAS COMES SQUIRTING OUT OF WHERE THE AIR FILTER GOES
Try this--Replace the spark plug with a new one--Turn the fuel supply valve off---drain a small amount of fuel from the carb. bowl, about a tablespoon---try to start.
If the motor starts and runs much better, until all the fuel in the carb. is used, you have a flooding problem. This can be caused by a worn float needle and seat valve., or a "fuel logged float". Float level does not usually change inless tampered with meaning there is no pereodic adjustment required.
I would suggest a carburetor repair kit.

Old 03-25-10, 04:42 AM
OK, I tried the shut off the fuel deal, and it finally started and ran for like 3 seconds, does that confirm that its probably the carb. I ordered a rebuild kit, should i also buy a new float?

Old 03-25-10, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
If you are going to go through the carb anyhow it's a good time to replace the float if you suspect it might be bad.