Can't see from my ATV- electrical

Old 03-31-10, 06:55 AM
Can't see from my ATV- electrical

I have a Linhai 300 ATV (lets not discuss that decision). It wouldn't start well. I decided to try replacing the factory battery. The good news is that it starts right up and seems to run well.

The bad news is that now if I turn the ignition key to the "lights on" position the power and engine shut off. I turn the key back a position and it restarts w/o a problem.

I checked all the fuses (fun) and wires and didn't see anything obvious. Is there anything I need to check after having removed the battery? I'd like to be able to see the tree (or horse) before I run into it.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-10, 10:39 AM
What happens if you turn the lights on with the engine not running? Will the lights work?
With engine running about 1/4 throttle, turn the lights on. When the engine starts to die, turn switch back to run position. If the engine immediately starts running again, this eliminates a circuit breaker tripping and I would suspect a bad ignition switch.
This is general troubleshooting as I know nothing about your particular machine.

Old 03-31-10, 02:22 PM
The running lights are always on. Its when I turn the ignition key to the next (3/3) position that the whole thing shuts down. Not slowly but completely. I suspected the ignition switch except this only has 120 miles on it and the problem did not start until I changed the battery.

Old 03-31-10, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
The running lights are always on. Its when I turn the ignition key to the next (3/3) position that the whole thing shuts down. Not slowly but completely. I suspected the ignition switch except this only has 120 miles on it and the problem did not start until I changed the battery.
If the lights are always on, what is the 3/3 for? Not to be a smart a--, but all my motorcycles have a park position on the ignition. Could this be possible?
If the problem started with changing the battery at only 120 miles, I would think it is possible to have a bad switch at 120 miles. I would go back and double check everything in the area of the battery, to see if something you did caused the problem.

Old 04-01-10, 07:56 AM
1-2-3

I probably wasn't clear.
For clarification just the low running lights are always on. The actual headlights are not. There are three positions on the ignition: 1) off 2) on no lights 3) on with lights
I usually turn the key to 2 and then press the starter button to start.
I leave it at 2 during the day and switch to 3 at night. 3 now has the same effect as 1!

Maybe I damaged the ignition when I was trying to startit with the bad battery. I'll see if I can find one and how much they cost.

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-05-10, 10:30 AM
parts?

Where do you get parts for these? My distributor moved away!

Old 06-23-10, 04:17 PM
Last try's a charm

So I decided to try this again the other night. The ATV stuttered for a second when I turned the ignition switch to the lights on position but then they came on and the engine was still running. Tried again the next night and the engine cut off but I was able to restart in the lights on position and the engine and lights worked (not sure I had tried this earlier).

Does this confirm that it is probably the ignition switch?

I saw a few at BuyATVsOnline.com - Chinese ATV Parts - Parts and Info source for Chinese ATVs, Go Karts and Scooters...