1963 Cushman Golfster

Old 08-07-10, 10:33 AM
1963 Cushman Golfster

I have a 1963 Cushman Golfster. Model 735. This vehicle was a take off of Cushman utility vehicles built by the company with air cooled twin cylinder opposed engine and a two speed manual transmission (one speed forward , one reverse) with a centrifugal clutch tied to a manual clutch with a normal facing and pressure plate, which allowed for variations in speed, but the centrifugal clutch is a maintenance nightmare. I have removed the centrifugal clutch and replaced the two speed tranny with a Cushman 3 speed (with reverse). This transmission was originally designed to be shifted with a column shifter and even the factory design didnt shift very well up thru the gears. I would like to make a floor shift that shifts more smoothly. Has anyone got a design they have seen that I might be able to build to complete this project? I knew a guy who installed a Hurst shifter in a similar application, but he and the car are long gone.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-10, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
I have no clue what you have there to start with but have you looked at a riding lawnmower transaxle? They are readily available as new surplus in geared and hydrostatic.

Old 08-10-10, 01:42 PM
Cushman 3 speed

I don't really want to change the transmission. If you can visualize a standard 3 speed transmission from a car, this is basically what I have, only a lot smaller. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the suggestion.