Hi everyone. Got a question about a

Murray Explorer
Model#60503x92
Tecumseh 6.0 hp
Engine-OHH60 71137D
Engine Family-YTPXS.1951AB
Displacement-195
D.O.M. 0063

This worked decent when we bought it used about 3 yrs. ago. Soon started having trouble with the carb. Did some research online and it seems everybody has some trouble with the carb on this engine.

Here's my question. Does anyone know what other engines I could use on this kart without having to make changes to the kart itself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-10, 04:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
Have you tried giving the carb a thorough & proper cleaning or having a small engine mechanic go over the carb? Is there something else wrong with the engine. If the engine worked well for so long I would not want to throw it away for a new engine because of a carburetor problem.

Old 08-10-10, 06:28 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, I took it off and blew some air through it. But once I saw all the troubles others were having with em I started thinking about changing out the engine.

I do have a guy I take all my small engine stuff to. I might end up goin that route. I was hopin though I could maybe find a used engine that would work with this configuration.

Old 08-11-10, 03:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
You would have to have very good luck to find a used engine in better condition than yours. Do you want to give it more power or make it more reliable? Most horizontal shaft engines could be mounted to your cart with little to moderate work. A new, larger engine would give you new engine reliability with more power but there is the cost.

Depending where you are in OH look around for kart racers. They are very good at tweeking small engines and very often replace the original carbs with after market models. Tillotson makes float and diaphram carbs that will work with your engine. Then you will have the hard decision if you want to soup of the performance above stock.

Old 08-11-10, 05:01 PM
G
Not looking for speed, just reliability. As for local karters there was a guy at the local NAPA who I talked to about it before but he quit/got fired. I have been googlin kart questions and this place is the only one I have found where I could post a question.

Old 08-23-10, 06:24 AM
G
gokart forum

give Go Karts R us! Manco Go-Karts Buggies Mini bikes ATVs Ken-Bar Kart Go Carts Buggy ATV Cart Parts a look... I've gotten some useful info and referrals from there.
greynold99

Old 05-06-11, 07:31 PM
W
I have a yerf-dog 1978 with a Tecumseh 6 H.P motor just picked up for son after sitting for two years in the rain, it was free. I changed the oil, took out gas tank and drained and cleaned. took off float cover and drained a little bit of gas in it and reassembled. It ran at full peddle fine and would dye-no Ideal. a friend came by tightened idle screw on carb over the red push bulb in four turns and took off air filter and while running at a half speed sprayed carburetor cleaner in to carburetor three times. turned off let cool for 30 minutes and had to push bulb 4 times for first start. took only 2 minutes to warm up. now to find a place to take it, as I live in a over populated city of 120 thousand people.
Concord, Ca. from a children author william sawyer

Old 05-07-11, 06:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
So, do you have a question???????