Replace inner tube

Old 08-22-10, 11:55 AM
Replace inner tube

I have an old lawn tractor that has two flats. I plan to replace the inner tube But Really have no clue how to do that. I have replaced a bike inner tube before but that was mostly from forcing it off. How would I get off a 16" lawn tractor tire?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-10, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
No expert...but you should be able to either smack it with a heavy hammer to pop it off the bead...then use tire irons to pop it off the rim. You should only have to get one side off for a tube replacement.

Back in the old days, we actually drove another car over a tire (close to the rim) to break it off the bead. Not a good thing for the cords and belts I'm sure.

Either that or pull both wheels and take them to a shop and have them do it....prob 20 min and $20 if you already have the parts and they are slow. An ATV place would probably be able to do it also.

Old 08-22-10, 02:14 PM
Could I use a couple of crowbars as tire irons

Old 08-22-10, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They are a little fat for the use, but if you can work them between the tire and rim, they should give plenty of leverage.

Old 08-22-10, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well...It's been a long time since I had to do it. We would throw the wheel over a steel fence post so we had a pivot point...and yes, we probably used crowbars. Tire irons have beveled edges so they don't tear up the bead though.

Use some liquid soap or some sort of lube on the bead.

I'm sure our lawn equipment guys will have better advice if you can wait.

Old 08-23-10, 04:40 PM
well, i got the front wheel's inner tube in no real problem, though it did take quite a while going around until the wheel came off. The rear on the other hand took a long time and it turns out the inner tube that I bought had a hole in it, so need to return, get new, and then put in the new one.