2004 Arctic Cat 4x4 Auto, NO SPARK

Old 08-26-10, 04:38 AM
2004 Arctic Cat 4x4 Auto, NO SPARK

This has been a on going problem with this quad for some time. It started after working it for awhile either plowing snow or pulling a drag it will just stop running. After letting it sit for a while it will start and run normally. A couple of years ago it wouldn't start at all, it would just spit a couple of times but not start. After unpluging the CDI unit, cleaning, and putting some vasoline on the connector, it started and ran normally.

But not this time. I found the other day that I had a very weak and intermitten spark. I changed the coil wire and plug yesterday and now have no spark at all.

I checked the voltage on the wire going to the coil (blue and white), and with the key on I had 31 volts, good, but when I hit the starter I should of had around 130 volts but it only went up to 40 or a little over.

Is this the CDI? Or is this something in the magneto?

Thanks,

Tracy

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-10, 08:56 AM
If you have an electric start, make sure the battery is at full charge, then, if you have the no spark, it's either in a connector or the CDI box.

Old 09-01-10, 04:15 AM
Ok, I got my spark back. I ended up cleaning and I adjusted the prong in the connector for the blue/white wire that goes to the coil. However, I'm back to the original problem. After I run it for awhile it will quit. After I let it set for 5 minutes it will start back up and run normal. What should I check after it quits? I'm a electrician and I have a electrical diagram for the machine. I did check the oil/temp/switch and it has no affect on it running if it's unplugged or jumpered out.

Old 09-02-10, 03:18 AM
Something like that comes down to fuel flow or an electrical component heating up and failing, then cooling and doing it all over again.

You will need to check for spark right when it quits as well as the fuel flow from the tank. Sometimes it's as simple as a tank vent or filter. Probably not rust in the tank, but checking flow from the tank is pretty easy - just disconnect the line and let it run out into a container.

If you have lost the spark when it quits, the coil is always suspect, along with the CDI box. From there, the signal generator and stator. The CDI, is a pain with no good way to check them except by replacing with a "known good one". Considering the cost of those things, you'd think there would be something at a dealer to plug it into.

When looking for spark problems make sure your battery is fully charged. Two things can feed the CDI - battery and/or stator.