1963 Cushman Golfster

Old 01-09-11, 06:43 PM
1963 Cushman Golfster

I have a 1963 Cushman Golfster, which originally came with a two speed manual transmission (1 speed forward, 1 reverse.) I modified everything so I could put in a 3 speed, but had to make my own floor shift for it. It works ok most of the time, but occasionally it jams in gear, and I have to take off the cover to unjam it. I have seen these carts with Hurst Shifters attached to them, but I need some help in telling Hurst what I need for this application. It is a stock Cushman tranny, H pattern with reverse up to the left and 1, 2, 3 gears.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-11, 12:25 AM
shifter for Cushman 735 Golfster

If you used the cast iron 3 speed with the sheetmetal top plate...you have a Ford 3 speed toploader

You will have to make a mount for the shifter and make linkage rods...

I have a 3 speed in mine with a Hurst shifter...its FUN

Old 01-22-11, 08:49 AM
Cushman 3 speed

Any chance you could post a photo of your installation? I think this Cushman Tranny has a complete cast iron case, but I will check for a "top plate" You mention Ford "top loader". Do mean Ford manufactured this transmission for Cushman? I had a Ford 3 speed in a 1940 Ford Coupe that I put a 3 speed in that had the shift control bolted to the top of the transmission (it went into the case from the top). This (Cushman) transmission has the tabs that the shift levers connect to on left side of the tranny. What model of Hurst Shifter did you use? Thanks for the reply! I knew somebody out there knew what I was talking about! (My current home made setup likes to jam in forward, and I have to take the tunnel cover off to unjam it almost every time...)

Last edited by WML13; 01-22-11 at 08:58 AM. Reason: additional facts
Old 01-23-11, 02:14 AM

you cant use the mounting from Hurst or the shift rods.
These transmissions do not have a tailshaft housing. They have been made a shorty transmission. All the parts interchange except for the rear brg support...as this was not used in a standard length trans.

Actually Borg Warner made the trans for Ford, Cushman, Rambler and a variety of other companies. Top loader name came about due to all the internals loading into the trans via the top

Shoot me an email directly.**********
remove the "am" and "harlie" from the addy. Shoot me a pic or pics of yours..I'd love to see it

pics are tuff due to everything hidden under the tunnel

I had an old 4 speed competition plus...I cut the original reversing lever off the bottom as it was not needed...mine shifts GREAT!

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-23-11 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Email not allowed
Old 01-23-11, 09:06 AM
I cannot send it directly per the posting rules of the site. Your e-mail address was deleted by the moderator. I can post it on photobucket for access if you can go there. I will send you the code for the photo through DIY when I do that. Lets pray I can get a good shot from the top with the cover removed...Thanks for the info on Borg Warner. Makes sense that Cushman didn't build it.

Old 01-23-11, 04:14 PM
if you can-post a pic here-i would like to see what you have.

Old 01-23-11, 07:13 PM
1963 Cushman Golfster

I have uploaded 4 pictures to Photobucket. They are titled "Cushman 3 speed with floor shift 1-23-2011" The shifter I built works ok but occasionally it jams in one gear or another, and I have to take the cover off to un jam it, and re set the shifting pins. That invariably happens when I am out in the field somewhere, and I have to limp back to the shop in the gear that I am stuck in unless I just leave the cover off...(that is always a good conversation piece for my friends who wish they could even come close to doing this themselves, but HAVE to take a shot at me...) I know a commercial racing shifter can work here, I just don't know which one to buy.

Old 01-23-11, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
You can post pictures here. Once you have the photos uploaded to Photobucket copy the code next to where it says "IMG code" and paste it in your post.

Old 01-23-11, 08:08 PM
Cushman Golfster 3 speed w-

Old 01-23-11, 08:18 PM
I had some problems loading all of the photos, but these should give you the general idea...

Old 01-23-11, 08:28 PM

Old 01-23-11, 10:39 PM

Your trans is a later model Truckster trans. I have the early version...so disregard everything I had said about the "toploader" as it is not relevant to your trans.
You can still use a Hurst shifter... a Competition Plus is a good shifter that is not priced insane. I do not know if Hurst makes a Competition Plus in a 3 speed version..but your trans is a standard passenger car 3 speed shift pattern. I used a 4 speed shifter in mine...which works fine also.

You will still have to fab a mount and the shift rods....but seeing what you have done..with what you have...you won't have any problems

SORRY about the posting of the email previously!

Last edited by sc3283; 01-23-11 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-24-11, 08:05 AM
WML-
what you have - might be improved on - by making/finding metal bushings - to eliminate movement between the shift linkage rods & arms.
& some fine tuning of the adjustments.

Old 01-24-11, 08:21 AM
I will keep an eye on just exactly what is happening with the linkage, now that I have the cover off, it should be easy to determine. Since the movement of the shift lever has to pick up a fork for reverse and first, and then go to the right for 2nd and 3rd, I'm thinking that the shifter is moving over without newtralizing the 1st/reverse and it is jamming. I would love to see a Hurst set up before buying one, just to see how they did it...Thanks VERY much for your replies, Great help!

Old 01-24-11, 09:39 AM
the 'hurst' shifter works on the same principal.
but has a better design/ closer tolerances.
as i said yous could be just 'slightly' out of adjustment. / if there is any movement of the rods-in the arms-the out of adjustment will be magnified.

Old 01-24-11, 11:33 AM
Got it. (l there is probably a lot of slop in my system that could be dealt with by the right bushings)

Thanks!

Old 01-24-11, 10:00 PM

Old 01-24-11, 10:50 PM

WL..you have a pm in your box