76 artic cat pantera 500 floods

Old 01-25-11, 07:28 PM
76 artic cat pantera 500 floods

i got this sled from my father it sat for 2 years untouched i put fresh gas in it new plugs and with a short spray of stsrter fluid it fired right up i drove it for two days and she screamed on the third day i tried to start her and she ran like crap it will idel ok but once given gas she will bog down. i took apart the carb and it was clean all the floats worked i think its something electrical like the plugs arent being told to fire faster when the gas is held down any suggestions?

Last edited by jarhead85; 01-25-11 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-11, 03:32 AM
Group Moderator
I would give both carbs a good cleaning. It sounds like you might have at least one clogged jet. If you want to be thorough you might want to clean out the fuel tank and possibly replace the fuel lines if it sat for a couple years was gas in it.

Old 01-26-11, 07:07 AM
It only has one carb I took it apart and cleaned it very well. It's getting PLENTY of fuel it sprays out the mouth of the carb and it comes out the exhaust I closed the fuel air screw and she still floods.

Old 01-26-11, 07:39 AM
Exhaust plugged, maybe?? Roger

Old 01-26-11, 05:54 PM
what makes the spark plugs fire at a faster rate when the throtle is held down?

Old 01-27-11, 04:34 AM
Group Moderator
The carburetor drives/commands the whole engine system. Everything else just follows along. The carburetor controls the engine's speed by limiting the amount of air coming into the engine by opening and closing the butterfly (some carbs use a slide valve). To speed up you open the butterfly/slide valve which lets more air in which in turn creates a stronger venturi inside the carb. which sucks more fuel into the air. The larger fuel/air charge creates a stronger bang which turns the engine faster. When the crank shaft reaches a specific position the ignition system fires the spark plug. When the crank turns faster it "commands" the ignition system to fire the spark faster, but only because the crank is already turning faster. It's important to remember that the mechanical stuff (piston, crank shaft) must be going faster before the spark plug will fire faster.

Because a spark ignition restricts the air coming into the engine a vacuum is created behind the carburetor and in the intake plenum. That's where many cars get the vacuum to power accessories, and on smaller engines this vacuum pulse is used to operate the diaphragm fuel pump.