What's the safest way of selling a bike to someone 1,000 miles away?

Old 02-04-11, 09:21 AM
U
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
What's the safest way of selling a bike to someone 1,000 miles away?

Hello, I have a restored 69 Honda CL 125 listed on Craigs list. This guy emails me often and says he is very interested. He seems legit but I know how many scams are out there! I have only ever sold bikes in person with cash being the only payment I accept. What would be the best way for me to make this transaction? He says he has already found a shipper. Any opinions, advice, etc. is always appreciated! Thanks! Jack

Old 02-04-11, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
When I sold my Harley I talked to the man personally. He was in Ohio and I in NJ. Get his phone # and talk to him. Then I had the man send me a cashiers check. There is a # on the check to call to get it verified. The deposit cleared then I sent him the title. He then arraged for pick up.

Dont get scammed. Get the money first and make sure its all verified. Dont give no bank info or anything personal.

Mike NJ

Old 02-04-11, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Even cashiers checks can be forged, I think, and not bounce back for weeks. I'd probably go money order, Western Union or similar, something that needs to be paid for. You might talk to your customer service person at your local bank as to the safest means.

I'd also never go just by e-mail...I'd want a landline phone number that can be verified.

Old 02-04-11, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
The same goes for Money Orders and Western Union. I read somewhere, the only Money Order that's safe, is a US Post Office one, because if someone tries to scam someone using this, then the PO gets involved.
Do you have a Paypal account? If not, consider that.
I only list big items as cash and carry (like you did with your bikes) or list it on Ebay.
I'm afraid to trust anyone I don't know, these days.

Old 02-07-11, 09:50 AM
U
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Thanks all! I appreciate it! Jack

Search this Thread

Ask a Question