What's the safest way of selling a bike to someone 1,000 miles away?Update,Scam?

Old 02-08-11, 07:19 AM
What's the safest way of selling a bike to someone 1,000 miles away?Update,Scam?

In the last email to me the hopeful purchaser said he had to ask me a few questions before he tied things up on his end. He did give me his "supposed" office and home phone number. I never did try to call him. I always thought something may be a little "fishy" as not many smart people would be willing to shell out $1800 for a bike that they only saw one crappy picture of!He seemed very, very interested in the bike. I gave him my phone number and he called me last night and said he wouldn't be buying the bike as things didn't work out on his end. That was all he said, no details at all. Quite a coincidence being that it was right after I said I needed a United States Post Office Money Order. I believe it was a scam, although they seem to be getting better at them! Most scams I have heard about usually involve foreigners, but I'm sure that's not 100% true! Thanks all, I really appreciate it!!!!!!! Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-11, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
If you have caller ID and got his number you might try a reverse phone lookup or Google it and see what shows up.

Old 02-08-11, 01:15 PM
Thanks Tow! Tried it and only info. I got was that it came from Biloxi, Mississippi. He did say he from Mississippi. But who knows! I'd just like to figure out if this was a scam or not just out of curiousity and to warn others! Thanks again! Jack

Old 02-14-11, 10:08 PM
I won't even take a money order any longer. When I sell a bike it's cash only. Too many fake money orders. Someone wants it, they can come get it with cash in hand. Weeds out any would be scammers pretty easily.

Old 02-20-11, 12:53 PM
Scams to watch out for involve you putting up any money, wire transfers (gives them your acct. info), stolen or forged money orders. Any transaction that pays up front with a personal or cashiers check and shipping the goods after the funds have transfered should be ok.