Golf Cart Melex model 212 electrical problem

Old 05-19-11, 08:58 PM
Thumbs down Golf Cart Melex model 212 electrical problem

I have an older model 212 Melex Golf Cart with the following electrical problems:
The cart has been running very well until one day last week when it would not start.
Batteries are fully charged. All cables and connections are good and clean. When I turn on the key and put the gear in forward or backup(beeper alert sounds ok) the motor does not engage and will not power the cart. However, when I plug in the golf cart charger then the motor will run fine and move the cart.

How can I trouble shoot this problem to determine where in the electrical system the breakdown is? Sure hope there is someone out there who can help me. You can email me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance;

Don

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 05-20-11 at 06:23 AM. Reason: removed E-mail address
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-11, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
First, your cart may not be wired properly or like it was when it left the factory. With a cart that old it is very common that they have been worked on and modified over the years. If you need a wiring diagram for your cart a Google search for "Melex model 212" will show you links to the diagrams.

If the cart is wired properly the current supplied by the charger pretty much runs through the entire electrical system of the cart which leads me to think that most everything on the cart is OK, except for the batteries. The first thing I would check to insure that each battery cell has the proper water level. If that does not help the problem I would disconnect each battery and test it while it's under load.

Old 05-20-11, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the response. I have load tested all the batteries and they are up to full charge. Could it be that there is a solenoid that is causing the problem? I does seem strange that when I plug in the charger that the motor runs fine.

Old 05-20-11, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Have you looked at how the cart is wired and compared it to the wiring diagrams? Has it been rewired or modified that you can tell? From the factory those carts just ran the charge wires to the battery bank so they can be charged even when the main solenoid is off. It also meant that the full battery amperage was available at the charging receptacle which probably is not the safest thing by modern standards. But, you are right. If the batteries test good something else must be going on.

I would look at where the charge cables connect to your battery string. I think the charge wires attached at each end (+ & -) of the battery string. If a cable is broken or not connected in the center of the string the cart will not run on battery but would run off the charger. The safe way to check them would be to remove each cable and hook it to a continuity tester and wiggle and bend the cable to try and find if it's broken internally. The quick but dangerous way is to put on thick welding gloves and safety glasses, step on the gas pedal and wiggle the battery wires. Since you are dealing with the full battery amperage it's possible to get a scary/dangerous arc if you find a bad wire.

Old 05-20-11, 11:34 AM
Again, thank you for quick reply. One mistake I did make was I listed the model as 212. It is actually model 512. As you suggested I downloaded a wiring schematic for the 512. You are right the charger plug is wired directly to the + and - of the battery string.
I will now remove all of the cables and check them for continuity to see if any of them is broken. I do note that there is one solenoid switch in the wiring schematic. Perhaps that might be a possible problem if it is not working. I see from the schematic that it is not involved with the wiring from the charger plug directly to the batteries.
I appreciate you. Let me know if you have any more possibilities.
Thanks
Don