2004 Club Car Speed control

Old 05-29-11, 03:37 PM
2004 Club Car Speed control

I think I have a bad speed control but because of the cost I do not want to buy a new one until I am sure. I have access to another like Club Car. Is there anything special to do before or during the removal and installing a speed control?

Way back in my memory I think there was something requiring the foot pedal to be pressed down with the key in the off position.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-11, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
This is electric I'm assuming? A little out of my area of knowledge, but I would think the speed control would be a simple rheostat mechanism, i.e. a variable resistor. If that's the case all you would need to do is disconnect the input and output wires and meter the control for resistance (ohms) across its range of motion.

Old 05-31-11, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
I generally just discharge the controller by disconnecting the battery cables and put the cart into reverse. Turn the key on and depress the accelerator pedal about half way. The reverse beeper should be sounding. Just keep the pedal down until the reverse beeper dies. Now the controller should be discharged and safe to remove. If the reverse beeper does not work on your cart then you can use the "sparks" method. Put on safety glasses and gloves and use a screw driver to short across the B+ and B- terminals on the controller. There will be a spark so don't be alarmed. Just make sure you only contact those two terminals.

Old 05-31-11, 08:31 AM
Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try. Do you know any other thing that would cause a soft jerk when starting and driving?

Old 05-31-11, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
How much of a jerk are you feeling? I can understand a jerk when starting but how does it happen and feel when driving?