Go Kart runs rough over rough surfaces

Old 06-16-11, 03:49 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Go Kart runs rough over rough surfaces

I have a 6.5HP Hornet go cart that runs great as long as the surface is flat. When I drive over my rough yard it seems to "stumble" or run a little rough.

Could this be the float bouncing around? Any suggestions?

Old 06-21-11, 02:47 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have an idea?

Old 06-24-11, 11:13 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If all wiring is securely attached, the float would be a suggestion. It may need to be adjusted to allow a little more gas into the float bowl.

Old 06-24-11, 12:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Sorry to take so long. I've been on vacation for a while.

First, like Goldstar mentioned, I would look over the electricals. Start the cart and with it idling I'd use the plastic handle end of a screw driver and tap on the on/off switch and any visible wiring connections. I'd also pull & wiggle any wires and tap on the spark plug and see if any of this causes the engine to sputter. Does it tend to miss more often when the engine gets good and hot or is it the same no matter if the engine is cold or hot?

Next you can check the float inside the carburetor bowl but usually does not cause an immediate stutter or miss in the engine. You can also check all the throttle control and governor linkage for excess play.

Old 06-24-11, 05:43 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I also wonder if it has a governor which may be bouncing around on rough terrain, causing momentary loss of RPM's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question