invacare electric wheel chair

Old 07-10-11, 08:56 PM
invacare electric wheel chair

the right side motor quit , i have it on the bench , there is a dust cap on the end of motor that had 2 screews in it , i removed the 2 screews and tryed to take cap off , it was a no go , something else is holding this cap on , the ownly thing i can see , is on the 2 sides of this cap , there are a couple of tack welds spoted , i'm hopeing some 1 has messed with this repair and can help , i need to be sitting in this chair , thanks in advance , here is a picture of the motor , Invacare - Part Notes , the model #1127394 ,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-11, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
Hopefully you just need new brushes. It's not shown in the diagram you linked but the ones I have seen the brushes are accessible via caps on the side of the motor. Do you see two or four caps on the sides of the motor? It sounds like they may be under the cover (that's tack welded in place). Searching online it looks like a couple different motors were used on those scooters. Some had brushes easily accessed from the outside but some also had internal brushes that would be more difficult to get to.

Worst case I did find places online that will overhaul the motor for less than $100 but hopefully you can find someone more local that does alternator & electric motor repair. There should be no need for a $1'000 replacement motor. Even if you've got a bad winding a motor repair shop should be able to re-wind it for you.

Old 07-11-11, 10:23 AM
ok , i got the dust cover off , it was suppose to just slide off , but the brush holders were broke and tipped up and pinching agaisnt the cover , then i find out the cover was plastic , not metal , felt like metal and looked like it , now i need to find out how to remove the 2 long bolts that holds the starter houseing , i can't find any bolt heads inside the gear box , and all i see on the brake end of this thing is 2 nuts recessed in the starter howsing with a slot showing on each side , maybe a small punch and some hammer work is how these come off , :smt017 , the armature looks like it has gotten hot , gonna try and clean it up a bit and see if i can get it working , if i can get this housing broke down , the brush holder and brake was inside the cap

Old 07-11-11, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
If the brush holders were broken that's probably why the motor does not work.

Old 07-11-11, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
If the brush holders were broken that's probably why the motor does not work.
would you no how this motor seperates from gear case , i see 2 nuts on the brush end and don't see any bolt heads in gear box , i'm missing something

Old 07-11-11, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
They are probably very long bolts that hold the motor together and mount it to the gearbox. Once they are removed the motor should come apart though you may have to do some pulling to overcome the magnets sticking it together.

Old 07-12-11, 09:53 AM
ok , finally got it broke dowm , the 2 nuts on the brush end were slotted nuts , i took a punch and backed these out , it was a slow process , but it is apart , the armature bearing was froze up and caused the rest of the damage , if i can get the bearing off and find a new 1 , i should to beable to get this thing running again , thanks all for the help