Kaw won't crank

Old 07-27-11, 12:04 PM
Kaw won't crank

Ok, I put the battery in my bike and hit the start button, and the relay (?) chatters, and the engine won't turn over. The battery shows about 12.8 V. If I jump it with a car battery, the engine turns over and starts. Relay ??????

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-11, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Hi,

Battery needs to be checked under load. Even though it has the volts it sounds like it dont have the amps. A bed cell or two.

Bring the batt to a auto center. most test for free.

Mike NJ

Old 07-27-11, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Battery seems a bit low...and reading it with a multimeter doesn't give a true indication of the condition. Once you put a load on, the voltage could drop.

Old battery? Brand new FULLY charged battery?

Old 07-27-11, 12:26 PM
Thanx guys! I wondered about the load thing. I'll check that! I have an old automotive voltmeter from 1960 that will show what's going on (I hope). The battery is not that old, and I just charged it. It's been sitting in the shop downstairs @ 12 V before I put it on the charger. Thanx :-)

Old 07-27-11, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most bike batteries are similar to lawn tractor batteries. If it's over three years old, time to replace.

I'm running a Honda VTX1300 with a Yuasa battery. It is on year eight but that's an exception and I really need to order a new one.

Also, keep your battery on a battery tender or similar trickle charger over the off season for best results.

Old 07-28-11, 11:16 AM
Yep, 3 yrs. old. Not much bang for the buck! Around 60 bucks! I checked the battery; 12.8 V, turn on the key, 11.5 V, hit the starter, dropped into the red at 7 V. Ordered a new one. Thanx all.