2012 Yamaha gas golf cart EFI

Old 12-27-11, 02:46 PM
2012 Yamaha gas golf cart EFI

2 Questions....
Extended tail pipe...many golf carts here take tail pipe and extend it to front or back of driver rear wheel so that the fumes are blown away. With new 2012 Yamaha EFI Drive gas golf cart, is it necessary or at least recommended. if so, where can I buy the extended tail pipe kit and how much. Installation should be simple
Also, regarding insulation to cut down on noise. There must be a good way to cut back on the noise. Yamaha's insulation is not that good. My friend did his own setup...underneath the seat. Seems good but I though someone might have a better way.
thanks
Vinerino

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-11, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
I am not sure where you are getting the EFI. The gas Yamahas all have a Mikuni carburetor. It is not fuel injected.

The extended tailpipe is a new one on me. I have never seen anyone do that, nor have I ever heard of anyone complain about the exhaust fumes. Are you sure they are not doing it to try and quiet the engine noise. There is a aftermarket header for the Yamaha that extends the exhaust exit further aft and aiming to the rear as opposed to the stock muffler which exhausts straight down. It's advertised to provide more power and it seems to be louder than the stock muffler.

I'm sure there are many routes you could take to insulate the engine compartment. Most importantly I would look for heat and fire resistant materials if you start getting anywhere close to the engine. I think you would be mainly limited by how much effort you want to put into it and how difficult you want the cart to be to maintain in the future. Keep in mind that anything covering the frame will slow it's drying after a rain which could promote rust and covering any components with insulation means they must be removed for servicing. And, no matter what you do, the bottom of the engine compartment is mostly open so you will still hear engine noise reflected off the ground.

If you are concerned about engine noise and exhaust fumes, why not get an electric cart?

Personally I much prefer gas carts since they are the easiest and least expensive to soup-up if you ever want to get more power/speed.

Old 01-01-12, 06:40 AM
Yamaha EFI added speed and insulation

All golf carts will eventually be EFI. Yamaha has begun delivering EFI...it is an upgrade at the moment. I am not concerned about extended tail pipe since it is easily done. It is used to cut back on fumes.
I have an insulation concern as well as added power.
Insulation...my friend has put a double wrapping of fireproof insulation directly under his seat. He says it is an inexpensive way to cut down on noise from gas cart. He will show me where to buy materials...just wanted to know if anyone else had any great ideas.
Also, golf carts down here have added power by using larger tires 10" adding hi speed rear end and also playing with governor near carburetor. Some can go upwards of 30+ mph. While I am not looking to go crazy, I was wondering how would one go about adding speed when you have new EFI as opposed to carburetor with governor.

Old 01-01-12, 06:44 AM
exteneded tail pipe.

Extened tail pipe needs to go to the rear wheel.....in front or behind. Not straight back. If straight back, the fumes have a tendency to roll back at you. So the only way to do it properly is to the side and back near rear wheel.
Many of the golf carts down here have that after market option.
No big deal. It is a kit that many Yamaha dealers can buy for 15 bucks or so.
Not sure who makes them.

Old 01-01-12, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Cool. I have not seen one yet. You must have gotten one of the first ones.

Keep in mind that the "power" things you mentioned (larger tires and high speed rear end) do not increase power. They both basically change gearing to increase the top end speed but at the expense of torque and acceleration.

I am curious why you bought a shiny new cart and you want to make a lot of modifications to it? Why not start with a used cart since you will throwing so much of your new cart away? Already you're talking about new tires, rims, a lift kit at minimum, exhaust, sound insulation, new gears in rear end and probably some engine work. Throw in the fuel injection which makes it more difficult to tweak the engine and it just doesn't make much sense.

Old 01-02-12, 03:41 PM
They are starting to deliver EFI. Right now it is an option...eventually all carts will be EFI
There will be better gas mileage. As far as why, there are many reasons. I have an 03 and I can sell my current golf cart and without too much expense, upgrade. It will also have better bench seat. I started with a used cart over 5 yrs ago and my net out of pocket was about 500 per year. I was able to swing a sweet deal for a new one. The bottom line is that I am worth it.
The 10 inch tires do not require a lift kit. Exhaust kit is a 20.00 option. sound insulation is the same. Hi speed rear is 350 plus 150 labor. EFI is 400 option. I use the golf cart a lot to get to and from every day and also use it on the golf course. No engine work other than trying to adjust the speed to go a little faster. I normally go about 22 mph and will have a speedometer to keep and eye on speed. Why would someone buy a BMW vs a GM...same reason I would want to buy a shiny new cart. Also, got a price on a 2 yr old cart, without EFI. Cost was $500 less than what i am paying..

Old 01-02-12, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
I did not know you were experienced with carts and I'm not bashing your desire to have something nice. I'm pretty guilty of that. You just mentioned a lot of modifications and that's not often done to a new cart. I've been eyeing a new one for no other reason that the better braking versus the old drums.

Are you running street or low profile tires? All the 10" rims around here get high profile off road tires mounted which require a lift at minimum or A arm replacement.

I suppose you are sticking with a golf cart versus a UTV so you can have something street legal or usable on the course? If using it mostly stock I would jump on the EFI option. I just don't know what options you have to easily get more power and speed out of it. The larger tires and rear end gearing help the speed but do you know how they are governing the new carts? Is it off engine rpm or or rpm's in the rear end?

Old 01-02-12, 07:07 PM
I am not as experienced with carts as some. My friend and a couple of other golfers have their cart at 30 mph +. I am not interested in going that fast but want about 28 mph when I want to pass someone. Police are issuing tickets for golf carts speeding...not for speeding but for non registered vehicle so while it is nice to have the extra speed, it should be used on an "as needed" basis. I should be able to get cart delivered at about 24mph and then move it up a notch.
The lo profile tires give the cart a harder ride so I passed on those. Simply using 10" loadstar tires. Golf courses will not permit tires that tear up the golf courses. I am not tinkering with new cart that much...getting EFI which will be a standard in years to come, Premium light package,sunbrella enclosure, Tiger bench seat with arm rest, 10" aluminum wheels, high performance gear (which everyone gets around here)personal key, speedometer to name a few. Driving around here by car takes 25 mins to go from one end to another. Driving by golf cart....a lot longer so the idea of having a little extra speed if used judiciously, works best. At least that is the game plan. I expect to keep this cart for at least 6 years.

Old 01-03-12, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
I souped my cart up but slowed it back down to top out at 20 mph. With only drum brakes on the rear it was not safe at higher speeds especially with the knobby tires I have installed.

Please post back after you get your cart. I'm dying to hear about the new EFI and what you can do to speed it up. I have not been able to find out if they are using a sensor or switch in the rear end of if they will have the traditional lever out the top and cable linkage. If you can find a way to bump it up I may have to upgrade my cart.

Old 11-26-12, 06:50 PM
Yamaha EFI

I just bought a 2012.5 Yamaha GC w/EFI. This is now standard eqt. You can increase the top speed by removing the back panel. You will see the accellorator cable. squeeze it against the spring and put a plastic tie around them. This simple trick will increase the top speed. You could also turn the nut in toward the spring you must slow the GC down or you are voiding the warranty.
Has anyone found a way to quiet down the exhaust?