Echo Back Pack Blower Locked Up

Old 12-30-11, 03:26 PM
Echo Back Pack Blower Locked Up

I've got an Echo PB-413H back pack blower that would start & run on starting fluid a few months ago. I let it sit & today it is locked up. Pulled the plug, added a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil & some PB Blaster to see if that would free it up, nothing yet. Any ideas? Can I stick something in the plug hole & try & budge the piston without causing too many problems. I'm trying to avoid pulling it all apart.....

TexasFire

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-11, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Running it on starting fluid is not good and could be the reason the engine is locked-up. I'm not sure what you plan to accomplish on a seized up engine without taking it apart but I'd consider taking it apart to asses the damage.

Old 12-30-11, 07:09 PM
Not sure if this will help but I had a weed eater do the same thing and I poured some oil down the exhaust and pulled the cord until it loosened up and it took right off after a few times of that, I was lucky the cord didn't break though. But it did work and didn't have to tear apart.

Old 12-30-11, 09:14 PM
Good news, after letting it sit a while I hit it with another shot of PH Blaster & it freed up! I think Pilot Dane was probably right, I got it to fire several times on starting fluid but couldn't get it to stay running. I probably cleaned all of the oil out of the cylinder since it wasn't pulling fuel. :NO NO NO: I had to yank on the recoil pretty good to get it to move, I too am lucky I didn't break it. My next step was to pull the recoil & try the shaft / flywheel (never been in one of these). Now hopefully with a carb cleaning / rebuild I can get it going again!

TexasFire

Old 01-08-12, 09:04 AM
I was strongly advised on another forum to pull the exhaust manifold & take a look inside. Doesn't look too hard, just 2 bolts & evidently it provides enough of a view in the combustion chamber to provide good info. The rationale was that if it locked up, then it did for a reason & warrants an inspection, an approach for this scenario in any shop that works on 2 strokes. If it did rust in place, hoping it didn't pit the cylinder wall or the piston too badly. Either way I expect I'm still going to have to rebuild the carb as it wasn't passing fuel.

TexasFire