power wheels

Old 05-16-12, 11:45 PM
wwc
Question power wheels

I have a "big foot" power wheels truck and it ran good last year but this year after charging it doesn't move,like no power .

Is there a way to check the batteries to see if they are bad ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Simple voltage check for starters; once you take the charger off let it sit for a few minutes and then check voltage. If it's already dropping off, the battery's probably a goner. Can maybe also do a load test like a car battery I suppose, but I'm guessing your battery is fairly small and not a lot of capacity, so an automotive load tester might be a bit of overkill. Could also have a problem between the battery and the motor, too, of course; loose wire, bad connection, etc.

Old 05-17-12, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, it can be tested with a battery tester or volt meter. If you don't have one they are pretty inexpensive to purchase or you can take it to an auto parts store and have them check it. Best would be to check the battery's voltage when you put a load on it like running the truck.

Do you notice that it gets better after you try to charge the battery? If not that might also indicate that the charger is not working.

In the end, batteries have a limited life and need to be replaced. You can find aftermarket batteries online that are less expensive than the Power Wheels brand. Also, I have modified several of those toy cars to use standard sealed batteries. Most cars have a proprietary connector so I make adapter cables using the car's connector so that standard batteries can be used. You just need to make sure whether or not the car uses 6 or 12 volt batteries.

Old 05-17-12, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Great minds think alike; I just type faster.

Old 05-17-12, 02:42 PM
wwc
Thanks I'll get a voltage tester and see what I find out, I like the idea of using a standard battery and not the expensive power wheel type. i'll have to figure out if it is 6 or 12 volt too thanks.