Need to start my Yamaha Virago that has been garaged for a couple of years.

Old 06-01-12, 04:00 PM
Need to start my Yamaha Virago that has been garaged for a couple of years.

I have not started my 1992 Yamana 1100cc Virago in about 3 years. It has an extra fuel filter on the gas tank. I am afraid to start the engine in case some of the liquids are now solid and may cause a problem. Does any body know what do i need to do to get this bike running again ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-12, 06:08 PM
Just drain the gas and oil out of it and put in fresh oil.

For the gas add about four oz of Sea Foam (from auto parts store or Walmart) to a gallon of fresh gasoline. Use that as the first gallon. Let that gas down into the carbs.

Then, full choke, half throttle, spin it over about five times. That will let the Sea Foam/gas throughout the carburetor. Let that sit for about ten minutes and do it again.

Then, full throttle/no choke see if it will start.

Old 06-01-12, 08:34 PM
In my neck of the woods ants and wasps like to nest in air filters and up exhaust pipes. I would take out the plugs and pour a couple of teaspoons of oil down the plugholes so the rings and bores are lubricated. If your machine has toothed rubber belts they are worth changing as they deteriorate with age.

Old 06-05-12, 10:02 AM
yamaha virago needs help to start

thanks forthe inform,ation. iwill start the work next weeken and let you all know how it goes.

Old 07-04-12, 01:23 PM
I just went through the same thing with my Harley Sportster. Tried the chemical route (Seafoam, etc.). Didn't do a thing. But even if the Seafoam did help, you are still going to have built up crud in the carb and that's the source of the problem. The only real way to do it is remove the carb and clean it with carb cleaner. You probably won't have to buy a kit or anything. Just get to the jets and clear them out with a thin wire and soak the rest in cleaner. I was hesitant to do it, but really it was not that bad a job. The jets are the real culprit usually. the passages are so small that it takes very little to obstruct them. The thing just fired immediately and runs like new after 9 years of neglect (and a new batttery, of course). I'm sure there are Yamaha forums to help with the specifics of carb removal, not to mention manuals.

Old 07-05-12, 05:06 AM
Depending on how the bike was stored (prep work before you put it away) and where it was stored, you might have a bit of work to do.

As Knuckles had mentioned, a couple drops of oil in the top of the cylender is a good idea, but add it, put the plugs in and let it sit. If you try starting it right away, it'll still be dry between the rings and walls and you'll just foul your plugs.
I'd probably add the oil in each cylender first, then replace all the other fluids, allowing the oil to soak in.

If you can get help, you could try leaning the bike from side to side to allow some of the new oil to get up on the sides of the crank case and gear box. This could be very tough to do, so be very careful and only do it if you have help that can physically do this.

I believe that bike is shaft driven, so you should be ok there.
Inspect the carb and lines. Knowing how tough they can be to get at on some bikes, inspect and if it looks ok, go with it for now.

Keep the old plugs in the bike on the first fire attempt. There is still a good chance of fouling the plugs, and it'd be a waste to do that with new plugs. Allow it to turn over a couple times (if you can do so without fuel going into the cylenders, the better).
Give it 2-3 attempts to start, no more then 5 seconds at a time, allowing 10-15 seconds before each attempt.

After 2-3 attempts to start, switch the plugs for new ones and repeat another 2-3 attempts.

If this fails, pull each plug out (one at a time), put a few drops of fuel in the cylender and try again.

Being a larger V-twin, this bike is going to be hard on the starter and battery, make sure you have a good charge on that battery.

As for the seafoam.... I have never used it and have heard extreme love and hate for the product (some love it and use it everywhere, others hate it and avoid it).

Old 07-08-12, 04:33 PM
Sea Foam is a gum/varnish dissolving agent. If that is your problem it will likely take care of it. If you have an old diaphragm or cracked/leaking plastic parts or gaskets it won't do anything for those.

I've never heard anyone talk about hating it because it did some harm. Some think its good is overstated, but you have that everywhere.

I've used it for years and get good results.

Old 07-08-12, 06:18 PM
I think most of the guys that compained about seafoam where trying or had used it on fuel injected vehicles.

Old 07-08-12, 06:53 PM
That could be it Mike. Here on this forum you hear good/bad too. Dunno. I keep it around.

Old 07-29-12, 05:22 PM
Hey,
If you haven't tried to start your bike yet after you replace the old gas and oil.
you also need to replace the spark plugs as well. Before you put the new plugs in and after you put the new gas and oil in turn the bike over once or twice so the new gas and oil clean out anything that might be getting hard in the motor.

doing this will help keep from messing up the plugs so you will have a good spark. I hope this makes sense and is helpful.