212cc go-kart motor problem

Old 06-06-12, 12:14 PM
212cc go-kart motor problem

I have a nearly brand new 212cc (6.5 hp i think) horizontal predator engine. It's mabye 2-3 weeks old and has been used on my go-kart mabye twice. To get to the point, when i start the motor it is already throttling, i have checked the idle but that is tuned fine, even if the screw is out, its still trying to go by its self. when its trying to go its not full throttle but my brother says it will slowly gain speed. the other fact is that you cant floor it, if you do it just chokes and dies. The first time it was ridden was in dirt, dry dirt and alot of it, but i doubt it could be anything with the carb. i just need a few pointers to get it running back to normal. And I HAVE checked the throttle cable and it releases like it is suppossed to. I had a family friend tell me it could be flooded, could that be the issue?

many thanks, zane

P.S. here's a link to the exact motor
Predator 212 cc OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine - Certified for All States Except California

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-12, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
There are many brands of engines similar to yours being imported from China. Very inexpensive copies of brand name engines. Unfortunately I've seen some decent ones and some bad ones. It sounds like it has carburetor issues and they may not just be dirt or adjustment related. I would study online how to properly adjust a carburetor and hopefully that will take care of most of your issue. I have seen one where the carb was pure garbage. It was good enough to get the engine to run but with poor idle and poor mid range throttle control and could not handle a load well. The only option was to replace the carb.

If you think the engine is idling down to the proper rpm but the cart is still trying to move you need to look at the centrifugal clutch. It will probably be on the output shaft of the motor. Inside there are probably two metal "shoes" held by springs. When you rev the motor centrifugal force pushes the metal shoes out to grab onto the outer housing. When the engine is off and at idle the shoes should not be touching the outer housing of the clutch. You vary the clutch's engagement by changing the springs so you might need heavier springs if it's engaging at too low an rpm.

Old 06-06-12, 12:52 PM
thank you for the help, although it doesnt bring music to my ears to hear about the carb issue, I will try what you have suggested

Old 06-06-12, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
I hope it's something you can adjust. If that doesn't work I'd take the carburetor apart and look for obvious things wrong like the float not sitting properly. You can look on the Internet for Honda engines that look similar to your's. The GX160 might be close, and look at the carburetor diagrams.

Old 06-11-12, 06:12 AM
If you been running in mud, and I know it sounds silly but check the air filter first~if it got wet it'll give you poor air flow~thus looking just like it's flooding.
Mouse

Old 10-24-12, 01:21 PM
I agree with the comment above about inconsistent quality in chinese clones. I had similar problem with the carb on a HF 6.5hp clone. Solution was go to www.Nr-Racing.com and purchase the carb GX200-Gas bored. This will work much better and increase your performance overall.