go cart takes off before gas is pressed

Old 06-23-12, 01:08 PM
go cart takes off before gas is pressed

my go cart has a pull start briggs engine and when i start it it startes moving before i press the gas and if you dont press the gas quickly after it starts it shuts down

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-12, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it have a centrifical (sp) clutch? If so, that is where I would look first.

Old 06-23-12, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Agree. Sounds like the centrifugal clutch is locked up.

Old 06-23-12, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Either the clutch...or it's idle is too high and the clutch is partially engaging on start up.

Old 06-23-12, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, look at the clutch and the engine's idle rpm. If a shoe in the clutch is stuck, jammed with dirt or a spring is broken or stretched it can engage at a lower RPM than it should. If the engine is idling too fast than it will cause the clutch to engage even at idle.

Old 06-24-12, 10:46 AM
where is the cluch located i know where the idle switch is but are they the same thing?

Old 06-24-12, 11:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Idle speed is usually adjusted at the carburetor, not by a switch.
The clutch is between the engine and the drive pulley or sprocket.

Old 06-24-12, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
First, I would block the back end of the cart up in the air so the wheels don't touch the ground. Make sure the cart can't roll or fall off the block. Start the engine and let it idle. Does it sound like a lawn mower at idle or is it running faster. If it's running faster it's probably the idle speed adjustment on the carburetor. If it sounds like the engine is idling at about the same speed as other equipment I'd look at the clutch.

On most carts the clutch is on the engine's crank shaft. If you look at the drive shaft coming out of the engine you should see the sprocket where the chain wraps around a steel can. Inside that can is the clutch mechanism. It's the black thing with holes by the engine.

An easy way to tell if the clutch is jammed or rusted in place is to push the cart with the engine off. If the cart rolls without trying to turn the engine then you know the clutch is not jammed with dirt or rusted together.

With a flashlight you might be able to see inside the clutch. You should see two steel "shoes" and two springs. If a spring is broken you've found the problem. The shoes pivot at one end and their other end is held toward the center by the spring. When the engine revs centrifugal force overcomes the spring force and slings the shoes outward where they engage the outer can which makes you go. If a spring is broken there is nothing to hold the shoe in and away from the outer can so it engages whenever the engine is turning (not a good thing).

Old 07-18-12, 04:26 PM
i looked at the cluch today and looked in the little hole in the cluch and didnt see anything so then i took the plate off and oil spilled out and i dont know what to do next and also the cam fell out making two little rods fall now im really stumped!

Old 07-18-12, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Can you post a picture of the parts you have? If it was the clutch removed the cam was probably one of the weights and the two little rods are the shafts for the two weights. It's not too bad to put back together once we figure out what you have.