Manco Spirit gokart model 1050

Old 07-20-12, 07:04 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Manco Spirit gokart model 1050

I picked up a Manco Spirit from a lady a cpl days ago and am trying to get it going. It has an electric kill switch and a key. I cannot seem to get it started. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. Even though it has a electric start shouldnt it still start by the manual pull? I do not have a key and I am sure the battery is dead. Who ever put it in storage drained the tanks / or parked it empty. It was bone dry. I replaced the fuel hose and verified that gas is flowing to the carb. I pull the rope and the engine turn freely but does not start. I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it a little. Tried to get a spark but didnt get one. I will pick up another plug tomorrow but wondering if the electronics are what is causing it not to start. Any pointers would be great.

Thanks.

Old 07-20-12, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
No go kart expert...but unless the ignition is in the run position...I doubt it will start. Should be pretty easy to figure out how to hot wire around the switch.

Old 07-20-12, 08:29 PM
P
Yep, I think so too. I will try that tomorrow and let yall know. Thanks

Old 07-21-12, 04:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My grandson has a manco go kart but not with electric start. It has a toggle switch for the ignition. Assuming you have a key that takes the place of the toggle switch - it won't start with the ignition turned off. It should be fairly easy to bypass the key switch and install a toggle switch if you need to go that way..... maybe add a starter button so you can use the starter.

Old 07-21-12, 04:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Just to test you can disconnect the kill wire that runs from the engine to the key. Make sure the end of the wire is not touching the cart or engine. If the cart starts to turn it off touch & hold the end of the wire to the engine or bare metal of the cart.

Old 07-21-12, 08:39 AM
P
Thanks for all the great tips. I will be out there working on it in a few and let ya know.

Old 07-21-12, 03:08 PM
P
Thought I could just replace the ignition with a toggle switch but no luck. I must be wireing it wrong. There is a red, green, black and black with white stripe wire . Thought I could just wire the red and the black / white stripe to a toggle switch to bypass but get nothing. Not that great with wireing. Any suggestions? I am getting juice to the switch as it sparked a little.

Old 07-21-12, 05:39 PM
P
Ok, bypassed the switch and I was able to start the engine. It ran for a sec then died. I found gas coming out of the air filter. Pulled the filter out and checked what I could. The gas stopped running out of the filter. I started it again and it ran ok this time. Now the problem is as soon as it starts the wheels spin. I guess now I have a clutch problem. geesh.

Old 07-22-12, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the wheel turning because you have the gokart on a jack stand or is it trying to take off setting on the ground?

Old 07-22-12, 04:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It's not uncommon for the wheels to spin if the cart is jacked with the rear wheels off the ground. If the cart was on the ground it could be a clutch problem or the engine is idling too fast.

Old 07-22-12, 06:36 AM
P
on the ground. I was gonna check the clutch today but it has some kind of inline clutch thing. Not the round clutch that the teeth attach to. Also I guess I have carb problems. Gas pours right out of the air filter. AND i think there is gas in the oil. It is very thin.

Old 07-22-12, 11:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the carb sticks and keeps flooding with fuel it can make it to the crankcase. Recently we worked on my son's riding lawnmower and drained out 2 gallons of oil/gas... it only takes 1.5 gal of oil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question