1982 g1 golf cart will not start without pushing

Old 08-11-12, 07:34 PM
1982 g1 golf cart will not start without pushing

hello i have a g1 golf cart that will not run without pushing it i have checked just about everything it has a new fuel pump and all filters cleaned the carb put new piston and rings compression is good now still will not start without pushing it runs great after its startedcould it be starter

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-12, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Are the clutches & belt releasing so the engine can turn freely without trying to move the cart? I'm wondering if they are remaining engaged basically like trying to start it while it's in gear.

Old 08-12-12, 09:58 AM
they seem to be releasing i can push the pedal and it will slowly roll but not enough to turn over but if i jack it up they will turn faster and eventualy it will start and you can see the clutches engage

Old 08-12-12, 10:01 AM
i dont think it has a neutral position you just turn the key and push the pedal

Old 08-12-12, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
There is no neutral gear select but the clutches must disengage so the motor can turn freely and start without trying to move the cart. If the clutch isn't opening up all the way or if the belt is somehow dragging the starter might not have enough power to turn the motor and drive the cart so the engine does not start.

One thing you can try is to jack the back end of the cart up so the back wheels are off the ground. Safely block it so it can not fall and step on the pedal to start the cart. Does it start?

Old 08-12-12, 06:27 PM
i think you are right i jacked it up and even took off the belt and it fires up can you take the clutch apart and clean it or buy a new one

Old 08-13-12, 03:47 AM
Group Moderator
Yes there are replacement clutches available if you need but yours can probably be fixed. I would open it up and if nothing looks broken just give it a good cleaning, lubricate the weight pivots and grease the shaft.

There is a clutch removal tool you can buy if you want to remove it from the cart or you can try working on it in place. Inside there is a spring that pushes the halves of the pulley apart and it could be broken but I'm thinking the moving half of the pulley just needs to be cleaned & greased so it can slide back and forth freely. If not serviced the old grease can gum up and prevent it from moving on the shaft. Hopefully you'll only be out the cost of some spray carb or brake cleaner.