2 Stroke engine sputters and backfires

Old 09-14-12, 10:22 PM
Lightbulb 2 Stroke engine sputters and backfires

I have a 5 year old scooter with a 40cc two stroke engine. It was running great until a couple days ago. I was warming it up for my son to ride and it was idling nicely in the driveway when it suddenly sputtered to a stop. I attempted to restart it but it sputters and backfires.

It has a Walbro WYK-119 carburetor on it. Any ideas???? Possibly an air leak in the carburetor? I would appreciate any input. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-12, 05:22 AM
If it's been running good until a few days ago, I would wonder if the plug is fouling or bad gas.

Could be the carb, but I would check the plug and if you are using old fuel, maybe drain and replace.

Old 09-17-12, 03:30 PM
When I used to turn wrenches for a Honda/Yamaha dealership we would see a lot of clogged mufflers on two-stroke scooters, (just another idea).

Old 09-17-12, 08:31 PM
Thank you for the replies. The spark plug was the problem. The plug was on it last legs and not firing consistently. Problem solved! Thanks again

Old 09-18-12, 05:55 AM
Thank you for the replies. The spark plug was the problem. The plug was on it last legs and not firing consistently. Problem solved! Thanks again
Glad to hear it's back up and running.
There is a reason we always carried spare plugs with us while riding 2-strokes.