Yamaha golf cart wont run

Old 10-12-12, 07:22 PM
Yamaha golf cart wont run

2005 Yamaha g23a will not run. Piston is not moving, and no fuel being pumped. no compression either.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-12, 12:53 PM
is starter generator spinning the engine

Old 10-24-12, 10:37 PM
The belts are moving when it's in neutral, but other than that they won't. The engine won't turn over.

Old 10-25-12, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Put the cart in reverse. Do you hear the reverse warning beep?

Turn the key "on" and step on the accelerator pedal. Do you hear anything? If so, accurately describe what you hear.

When you say the belts are moving when in neutral, which belt is moving? You have two belts. The smaller one goes from the starter/generator to the engine's flywheel and the other is much larger and goes between the two clutches.

I am curious about you mentioning "in neutral" since you have forward and reverse. The transmission does not have a neutral position. It's either forward or reverse. When the cart is not running the forward/drive clutch should completely open letting the drive belt go slack. This will allow you to push the cart which could be the neutral you're describing.

How do you know the piston is not moving? How do you know there is no compression? How do you know fuel is not being pumped? All of these can be caused by the same problem and it could be as simple as the starter belt being broken or loose.

Old 11-21-12, 01:02 AM
I had a mechanic look at it 2 months back. And when I say neutral I mean when it is between forward and reverse. There is no fuel going through fuel pump because I just put a new one on and no fuel is going through the filter. The belt is brand new also. You can freely spin the clutch and there is no reverse sound either. The only sound I can hear when starting up the cart is the belt spinning.

Old 11-21-12, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
If you have had a mechanic or professional look at it and it's still not running you will have to get quite specific to get much benefit from the Internet.

You say the only sound you hear is the belt spinning. Which belt do you hear spinning? If it's the starter belt I would check it's tension, but that's a pretty simple one so I hope any mechanic would have caught it.

You say the clutch spins freely. Which clutch? There is one forward attached to the engine's crank shaft and one in the rear attached to the transmission.

If there is no reverse sound, can you put a volt meter on the reverse beeper to see if power is being sent to it? Since you say the cart is doing other things I'm thinking the beeper simply doesn't work or there is a broken wire.