Craftsman 22 inch Snow Thrower starting problem

Old 12-28-12, 03:02 PM
Craftsman 22 inch Snow Thrower starting problem

I have a craftsman snower thrower. It's two years old, it started fine last year. This year it don't want to start this year. I drained all the old fuel out, drained the bowl, pulled the the fuel line off to make sure it was clear, pulled the carberator and cleaned it with cleaner and it still will not start. I poored gas into the carberator and it starts up then stops, it will only start short when I do this.

What is stopping it from staying running or getting fuel?

Drre52

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-12, 06:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are some very fine passages in the carb. I don't know how you cleaned it but it often takes a soaking in solvent followed by blowing all ports and passages clear with compressed air.

Old 12-29-12, 08:52 AM
Thanks sounds like hard work. I'll try to blow it out.

Dre52

Old 12-29-12, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Definitely sounds like a clogged carb problem. When you remove the bowl is it full of fuel?

Key to preventing this in the first place is to drain the fuel out at the end of the snow season and run it until it dies to get all the fuel out of the carb. If you think you might not do that I'd mix a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil in with the gas. It will help prevent varnish and gum forming in the fuel if it is not used for long periods. I would not rely on it for an engine sitting for 9 months but it is a good added measure of protection.