Strengthen and thicken ABS plastic

Old 01-21-13, 08:55 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strengthen and thicken ABS plastic

I'm looking at getting some hard saddle bags for my bike, and the ones I am looking at are made of ABS plastic. I was wondering what can I do or use to strengthen and thicken the saddle bags because they seem to be a little thinner than what I am comfortable with. Getting fiberglass ones is $500 more than the ones I want and like, and if there is something I can add on to the ABS plastic to make the plastic thicker and in the end be stronger and save $ that would be ideal. Of course this add would be on the inside of the saddle bag. I have read a lot of online posts and have gotten mixed messages if adding a layer of resin and fiberglass can be done and if it would even bond together without ruining saddlebags.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-13, 12:01 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm don't think that we have a forum that covers your specific question. I would think that the manufacturer would have specs on capacity including weight load. There are ABS repair kits which could probably be used to reinforce the bags. My biggest concern would be the attachment points because they will have to support the weight and vibration while riding.

Old 01-28-13, 12:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd line the inside with 1/4" neoprene or something padded, and I'd use something flexible to mount it to the bike, like rubber washers or polyurethane caulk, but I have no idea how saddle bags are mounted. Thicking the ABS the wrong way could make it stiffer and more likely to crack.