Briggs & stratton vanguard v twin 14hp backfiring

Old 02-12-13, 11:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Briggs & stratton vanguard v twin 14hp backfiring

I have this vanguard v twin and it was running poorly, after looking at it I found it was running on one cyl. The other didnt have spark at all, I found that out by pulling the plug wires. when the other cyl. was not firing, I ordered and replaced the coil. Now both cyl. fire, but since putting the coil on it starts and will spit and sputter, and then run smooth, then die. I can pull each plug wire one at a time and it will run on one cyl, each one by themselves, but with both plugged in and its like they are fighting each other, like bad timming on a car. could it just be the gap on the new coil is not good, Key is good, carb is good. Like I said it feels like a timing issue, but not sure, any suggestions?

Old 02-13-13, 12:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 42 Posts
There is a black wire connecting the two coils. This is the kill wire. It has diodes in it to keep the coils from back feeding into each other. If one of the diodes is bad, it will do funny stuff like this. Disconnect the wire from the coils and see if it runs right. If it does, you know the diode(s) is/are bad. You won't be able to shut off the engine with the wire disconnected, so be prepared to pop the plug wires off or choke the engine down to shut it off.

Old 02-14-13, 07:35 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Briggs & Stratton vanguard v twin 14hp backfiring

Thanks so much cheese, That was it. I unplugged the wires and whalaaa, it works great, got new wire and installed, runs perfect.

Old 02-15-13, 01:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 42 Posts
Great! Glad to help, and thanks for the update!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question