Polaris snowmobile with a strange spark issue.

Old 03-01-13, 07:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Question Polaris snowmobile with a strange spark issue.

Hello. I have a 2003 Polaris Sport Touring 550 Fan. Having a strange problem with intermittent spark. Problem started on a Sunday, after riding the sled without any issues on a Saturday. Sled has always started with a couple pulls, so I knew there was a problem when she didn't want to start. Checked the spark after replacing spark plugs and had absolutely nothing.
Brought the machine home and after letting it sit a couple days, went to troubleshoot with a buddy. We pulled the plugs again layed them out, had a spark on each. Screwed them back into the engine and she started with one pull. Let the machine run for a minute and turned it off. Then I had to convince my buddy that I was not really sure the problem had been fixed, as we had fiddled qutie a bit the following Sunday trying to get it going. We tried to start it a second time and got nothing. That's when the fun began.
We dug into it and bypassed the key switch and kill switch. Every now and then we'd see spark, and other times we would not. Also tried starting with pressure on the throttle to rule out the throttle safety switch. Everytime we saw spark, we'd try to start it again, but had no luck. Never seemed to get any consistency.
Played with it again tonight and pulled the connector apart which is on the right side of the motor just behind it. (The one with all the yellow wires) Someone recommended testing these connections and that they should all have the same resistance. Not even sure I did this correctly, but when I tested it I assumed the brown wire is common and attached the other lead to the other three one at a time. Two of the connectors had the same resistance (around 6, not sure the units) and one was very low, indicating a short I beleive, but I didn't think to switch my tester to beep mode to verify. The first time I'd pulled the plug apart I noticed that there was some moisture inside. I sprayed down with some PB Blaster and reconnected. Machine started with one pull and ran fine for several minutes. Started and stopped machine a few times and thought the problem was solved. Last attempt at starting, that machine ran for a few seconds and then died. Could not start again. pulled the plug apart and found some carb clean to try and dry it out, but no luck. This was when I performed the test I described above.
So it appears that the machine does "run" fine, but the issue is electrical somewhere. And whatever is causing the issue appears to work fine for a short amount of time after the machine has had a break.
I ordered the service manual and I'm hoping to get that in the mail tomorrow, and work on it some more. Obviously I could use all the help I can get. Any suggestions?

-JPB

Old 03-01-13, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Intermittent problems can drive a sane person crazy. I tried to find a wiring diagram online but it seems to be another one of those closely guarded secrets.

With a schematic I could probably help you out.

Old 03-02-13, 04:43 AM
J
As I said, I'm expecting to receive that service manual in the mail today. If there's any good wiring diagrams in there I'll scan them in.

Old 03-02-13, 04:57 AM
J
Polaris Ignition System

Name:  Polaris Ignition System (Edit).jpg
Views: 10325
Size:  48.0 KB

Not sure if this worked, but the picture that I attempted to upload is the best I could find. The circled connector is the one I used to do my "stator test" I suppose I still need to know how to test the coil as well.

-JPB

Old 03-02-13, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Those are pictorials....... like for parts ordering. We'll hope for some decent schematics.

Old 03-02-13, 08:06 PM
J
Thumbs up Problem Solved!!!!

Finally figured out the mystery. Brought the ignition coil in to be tested and spoke with a guy from the service department at a nearby toy shop. After describing what I was going through, he seemed very convinced that I had a wire shorting out somewhere on the machine. Now there is a black wire with a white line which comes from the CDI box and goes in the same direction as the connector I circled in red, up into the console area. I'm not sure why it is not part of this connector, or why it's not shown in the parts diagram above. It did however have it's own separate connector which was a little bit to close to some part of the engine way down underneath where nobody could see. Very releived to have this figured out. I don't think I would have ever found it if the machine was not running initially. I was able to fire it up as I'd done in the past. I told myself I was going to let it run untill it died. I got impatient and starting moving and pulling any wires I could.

Wayne Whalen voted this post useful.
Old 03-02-13, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Great news ...... Now to get that wayward wiring insulated.

Old 03-04-13, 08:31 AM
J
Yes, I still need to insulate my splices. Also I did receive the manual finally. If anyone needs wiring diagrams for 2003 Polaris Touring machines, it looks like I have them all. Just shoot me a message.

Wayne Whalen voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question