1991 Yamaha G9AG Golf Cart

Old 04-17-13, 09:47 AM
1991 Yamaha G9AG Golf Cart

The cable to the carburetor is very loose. When I step on the accelerator pedal, the cable attached to the carburetor doesn't tighten up, consequently the engine doesnít engage and the cart doesnít move. There isnít enough of an adjustment on the end of the cable to tighten it up enough to fix it. How can I tell if the cable is broke? I tried pulling it but it wonít move.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-13, 01:59 PM
Well after several attempts I have down loaded the service manual, which tells me there is a cable running from the petal to some type of governor and then another cable running to the carburetor. Which of course is out of sight. Is there some easy method to test the governor to see if it is working?

Old 04-17-13, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
The governor is in the rear of the cart on top of the transmission. I don't think you have a governor problem since it only does something when you get to higher speeds. I'm betting you have a frozen or broken cable.

The cables are stiff wires that move within long tubes of coiled steel. Water or dirt can get inside and corrode the cable or sleeve causing it to bind. Also the ends of the outer sleeve/tube are attached to brackets and won't work if not attached.

Start at the gas pedal and and follow the cable and linkages all the way to the carburetor. Somewhere along the way you'll probably find the problem. Note that you don't have to physically see the cable the whole way. Look under the floorboard where the gas pedal connects to the cable. Then in back where the other end of the cable meets the governor then another cable from the governor to the carburetor.

Old 04-20-13, 09:30 AM
Thanks, you were right on, it was the cable from the petal to the govenor. Again Thanks.

Old 04-20-13, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Make sure you keep that mechanism under the brake pedal clean. Rocks and debris can build up restricting the movement of the gas and brake pedal. Worst is if a rock gets behind the gas pedal lever which can prevent it from returning to off/idle. It can happen if you drive fast on gravel. You take your foot off the gas and the engine keeps going. The brakes still work but you only have drums in the rear which are pretty weak. If it ever happens turn the ignition key off which should kill the engine regardless of the throttle position.