glueing rubber to metal

Old 05-24-13, 05:52 PM
glueing rubber to metal

What's is the best glue for a good lasting stick?

tks,
pa

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-13, 05:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, do we have to just guess on what it is your really trying to do?

Old 05-24-13, 06:34 PM
I was hoping to have the model # and year built, before anyone asked. Its the rubber? tire off of a metal wheel on an oldish looking craftsman cylinder/reel lawn mower. pictures coming soon.

pa

Old 05-24-13, 07:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have asked about this on several other site and had several suggestions.
Tryed any yet?
Rubber cement was mine.
Got about a 1% chance or getting weather rotted rubber sticking to anything and holding.

Old 05-24-13, 07:44 PM
then its a good thing my rubber is not weather rotted.

this is only the 2nd reply that I have gotten.

pa

Old 05-24-13, 08:34 PM
I never understand why a glue that ends up where it shouldn't is often impossible to remove, but when you put it where you want it, it fails.

I have done a lot of repair work on strange surfaces in the past, but my shelf full of magic has been long empty. What you need is a sticky type of adhesive that remains a bit flexible when cured. Some materials require a solvent based that melts the mating surfaces, but obviously the metal is not going to melt. But the rubber is going to flex, therefore the glue shouldn't be totally rigid. Although I can't state exactly which one to use, I would be reading labels on the exterior construction adhesives. Liquid Nails for metal says: Recommended For: metal, plastics,* stone, marble, brick, brass, rubber, tile and masonry. LIQUID NAILSŪ Adhesive | Metal Projects Repair - a "Green Glue"

I guarantee you they make an adhesive that will hold those two materials together perfectly. Identifying which one and then finding some is the trick.

Bud

Old 05-25-13, 12:21 PM
Not sure if they still sell it, but PLYOBOND was what I've used before. It came in a glass bottle with a brush in the cap to apply.

Old 06-21-13, 11:33 AM
better pics :

"the message you have entered is too short. please enter 25 characters."

I love smart pages that know better then I what I need to say (or how many characters it takes).

Attached Images    
Old 06-21-13, 03:07 PM
You might search on retreading tires to see what they use for glue.

Bud

Old 06-21-13, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
Pliobond is made by GoodYear and is awesome stuff. It's about 7 dollars now for a small bottle. It's a rubber type contact glue.
In this case I don't think it's strong enough.

I know how I would fix that tire......Gorilla Glue.....original brown style. That glue WILL hold that tire to the rim.

The glue sticks to everything including your hand. It is a sticky mess so use nitrile gloves.
The glue expands as it sets so it will try to push the tire off the rim. You will have to put a band, a rope or even a clothing type belt around the tire to hold it in place while it dries. The excess glue that leaks out can be removed after it dries.

Old 06-26-13, 02:04 PM
im thinking of drilling holes in the metal wheel around the perimeter and wrapping wire thru the holes and around the plastic wheel, once its glued in place.

Old 06-26-13, 06:26 PM
Urethane windshield adhesive. Comes in tubes to fit a caulking gun and under $10. Check some auto glass shops for expired tubes they are throwing out.

Old 06-26-13, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gasket glue holds rubber & cork gaskets to metal heads, blocks etc & you gotta scrape that stuff off with a puddy knife sometimes. It may not bond what you need but that came to mind. Some gasket glue is better than others.

Also, I have used Gorilla Glue as someone else mentioned for various things but I don't know if I have ever used it in your similar application or not, but it does work pretty well. Again, as the previous poster mentioned, it does expand so plan for that.