1986 yamaha gas g2 golf cart no start i have the serial number

Old 08-25-13, 05:53 PM
1986 yamaha gas g2 golf cart no start i have the serial number

J38 011918 i can not get it started my mother has gotten 12 years out of it and this year i am not sure if it is the battery has bitten the dust or whether her neighbor gave her a bad spark plug even if it was for the golf cart to begin with or if there is more behind it not starting I am great with engines so so far we are charging the battery over night i got a spark plug for it when i was at home depot they cross referenced it with a ngk spark plug i pulled up on my browser while i was there and it said autolite 517 or 275 so we went to advance auto they only had 275 bought 2 of them and put it in the battery was dead so that is why we are charging it . now i ordered a gas filter for it as there has never been a tune up done to it in 12 years and it is driven alot during the summer months so i figure the least i can do is replace that and after looking at the air filter i figure that should be replaced as well plus the rubber straps do not tighten the cap down as one has snapped off i think i will make sure she orders 3 straps as one was missing for the broken retainer ( i will use a screw to hold that one in place) and one broke when i released it due to dry rotting. so a few minor things and any suggestions as i know outside of the battery being dead and the fuel filter being shot if it does not start at that point what else may i need to check into some common issues with these? any one? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-13, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only needs two things to run. Fuel and spark.
Simple enough to see if it's getting any spark.
Twelve years without changing the fuel filter and using ethanol fuel. My money goes on the carburetor needing to be rebuilt if it still will not run.

Old 08-25-13, 06:35 PM
ok caption1 i will go on the lines i have been working on then..which was next going to remove and clean up the carb also going to desulfate the battery to get some more use out of that as well. and i did get all the dust and sticks unstuck and out with a power washer :-) the poor thing !!! seems like it was the first bit of water seen in many years.. mom is getting up there in age and needs it to travel her acre plus yard. just doesnt have the steam any more and never had an issue with the G2 other than replace spark plug now and then .. SOMEONE must love her, cause she has been alone for 10 of those years and never once asked me for help with the golf cart so I know someone is looking over her.. now with the lawn mowers i have a job keeping them running every summer. she owns 3 and at least 1 is down this year all 3 didnt run.. fun for me and now the G2 is down haha not a good year but thanks for the reply.. do you think a cleaning is all the carb will need or should i plan on replacing the float or anything else i may need to consider?

Old 08-25-13, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not going to know until you pull it apart how bad it is.
To play it safe I'd at least buy a rebuild kit for it.
Floats almost never need to be changed. If you shake it and it's full of fuel, it's time for a change.

Old 09-24-14, 02:47 PM
ok well last year i had that problem replaced the fuel filter which was the original and she was running.. had a few issues with tires and resolved them and now she wont start again.. not sure but it appears to be fuel again.. but not positive... i attempted to deep cell charge the battery but the New charge which worked a month ago when i thought the spark plug was bad .. it jumping on trickle charge it appears to start at needing a charge then move it to regular charge and it says it is charged and ready to start.. then move it to start and it says it needs a charge.. and will not start... so i am scratching my head on this i never saw a charger do this before.. not sure if we need a relay or what is happening now.. but mom keeps running the golf cart on low amounts of gas.. and I do not smell gas

Old 09-24-14, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
You think the problem is fuel but spent most of your post talking about a battery charger?

Old 09-26-14, 06:08 PM
yes last year it was fuel.. this year i dont know my mother drives it,, and she may tell me she heard nothing but it doesnt mean a thing she did say it hasnt seemed to run quite right since last year.. and for the past month it was dying out here and there she always makes short hops and jumps .. which i know is hard on the battery .. and this is a new charger so i am not sure i trust it that much newer items seem to have their own issues.. i did take the plug out today to check for spark i held it to the metal and the engine turned very slow.. so i do think it isnt enough spark to kick it over.

Old 10-14-14, 03:27 PM
ok i resolved part of the problem and i have isolated it down to the battery which was shot in 13 months and just replaced is not charging so it is along the lines of starter or relay.. which would be the most likely to replace or how do i know which is what i should replace.. should i take the starter out and have them test it at autozone first maybe test the solenoid as well? battery tester indicates a charge is not being sent to the battery which would explain the past year... and why the new battery is fried... what next.. I am not good at troubleshooting .. i can replace and work on any vehicle.. but as far as diagnostics.. my mind is not working as it used to work years ago.. thanks Linda

Old 10-14-14, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A starter pulls power from the battery. A solenoid pulls less power but still pulls power.

What provides power to the battery? A generator or alternator. That is the item to have checked to see if it is producing electricity for the battery.

Old 10-18-14, 07:03 PM
according the the part diagram for this model i do not see any alternator or generator for it . please if you have a part number for this I will purchase and locate and replace thanks in advance

Old 10-18-14, 07:10 PM
the item i am referring to is called a starter generator see video here which this guy really has a problem with his.. mine is tight and fine but old so i think it may be the cause of the problem...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q53TzR3v91k i am going to pull it out and take it to autozone and see what they tell me i can replace this for 130.00 shipped to house. New Starter Generator Yamaha G2 G8 G9 G14 Golf Cart | eBay i hope this resolves the issue she keeps it on trickle charge so it will work when she needs it now.. i told her to disconnect it for the winter if we dont resolve before hand so it does not need to constantly recycle the charge i am certain this is not good for any battery.. having it sit with out a draw on the current is better then draining the charge and recharging constantly
correct me if i am wrong..
thanks

Old 10-18-14, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm guessing that you do not have a volt meter to check the output of the generator when the engine is running. Not sure if AZ can test it but it's worth a try. Be sure to take pictures of the connections and label them so you don't mix wires when re installing.