86 club car possible solenoids are bad

Old 01-20-14, 10:52 AM
86 club car possible solenoids are bad

when stepping on pedal, the cart goes to high right away. thinking that solenoids are bad, what do you think? Also driver side solenoid is clicking, but no other ones.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-14, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Have you been "working on" or modifying this cart?

Old 01-20-14, 04:09 PM
stock cart, no mods. I did some research and tested solenoids. things appear normal there. now I'm thinking speed controller

Old 01-20-14, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Speed controller would be correct. If the solenoid was bad you would get no movement.

Without seeing the wiring diagram it could be possible that you have a main solenoid and a high speed solenoid. The high speed solenoid would activate when the pedal was at maximum bypassing the speed controller.

Old 01-22-14, 07:20 AM
hey pjmax, thanks for getting back to me. got tied up in a different project now but when I get back to my golf cart I am going test the speed controller, somehow. I've got 5 solenoids, 4 are speed and 1 is master. master is only one clicking.

Old 01-24-14, 02:04 AM
Most likely a resistive,coil controller. Pretty old cart to have a electronic controller. Its doubtful that all of the solenoids are bad. Lots of microswitches and and lots of daisy chained series circuits going to each
microswitch and to each solenoid. One push on connector,broken or loose wire on the foot control could create a open circuit to the all of the lower speed solenoids.

Larry

Old 01-26-14, 05:24 AM
thanks for your thoughts larry, I've been thinking about what you said. there are 5 microswitches in the controller according to the wiring diagram. If number 4 switch is bad would that back feed the other solenoids? In turn the controller thinks the peddle is pushed all the down? snowing again up here, got to go plow snow. back to my project later.

Old 01-27-14, 04:16 AM
All resistive carts start out with all the coils engaged and drop them off by switches or solenoids. In your case solenoids switch in more or less resistance into the motors current. When pedal is all the way down no coils are engage and your applying full current to the motor. These systems while very functional waste a ton of the battery power unless your driving full speed all the time.
The micro switch box is crammed pretty tight so your going to need to slide the entire assembly out of its box. There is a plastic wedge part that is attached to the accelerator pedal rod end that
slides down into the micro switch box that opens and closes micro switches as you apply more or less pedal. Not a real complicated system just very tight area for testing.
I removed one not long ago. I was not trying to repair it, was just removing it and found a broken
micro switch inside.
Hopefully some of this helps. Only one thing will not help your snow shoveling problems.

Larry
S. Florida