Motorcycle Inspection Liaison

Old 04-21-14, 07:13 AM
Motorcycle Inspection Liaison

I'm in contact with a seller in the Annapolis area (MD) and the bike doesn't appear to be in that great of shape, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Since I am about 65 miles away, I was hoping to get someone from a local motorcycle shop to inspect the bike on my behalf to see if it is worth my while to make the trip up there. Is this a service that most bike shops offer or are willing to do for a small fee ($50?).

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-14, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Never heard of such a thing. Of course if a bike is brought in to them, just like any garage they'll look it over.

Old 04-21-14, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
I don't think they'd want the liability either. Only a mechanic you've been going to for years, or a friend, might do this for you.

Old 04-21-14, 07:51 AM
I got the idea from a used motorcycle buying guide article I read online, so it has to be true . The article implied that this was a pretty common practice. Apparently not.

Old 04-21-14, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Well then, maybe it is true. Try calling a couple of places near them to find out for sure. You have nothing to lose by asking.
OR unless you need it right away, keep checking till there's one for sale closer to you.

Old 04-21-14, 10:02 AM
unless you need it right away, keep checking till there's one for sale closer to you
I'm looking for a specific model and they go pretty quick once they are listed. There were two others for sale closer to me but they sold the same day. I admit when I see something I want, I get very impatient. Might just have to buy new

Old 04-21-14, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
I hear you on that! The good stuff goes fast.
I believe in instincts, tho. If something's telling you this should be checked first, then there's probably a reason why. I'd probably just pass on that one.

Old 04-21-14, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I'm going to pass. He sent me a couple more photos and there are just too many things cosmetically wrong with it (rust, chipped paint, torn seat, leaking shocks).