On/Off Switch For Boss MC400 On Motorcycle

Old 05-31-14, 08:16 AM
On/Off Switch For Boss MC400 On Motorcycle

I have a Boss MC400 stereo and need to install an on/off switch. I just need to know how to hook it up. It runs straight to pos/neg with a 5 amp in line fuse. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-14, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The simplest answer is to mount a toggle or rocker switch in a convenient location and run the positive line to and from it.

To reduce the chance of a dead battery, I would pick up a 12 volt relay from an auto parts store and wire the trigger through the ignition switch. When the bikes off, so is the stereo.

Do not wire direct to the ignition switch because some cannot handle the draw and may be fried.

Old 05-31-14, 08:48 PM
I have a push button from my old speakers. It has two wires coming from it. Does anyone have step by step instructions? Doesn't have to be step by step exactly. I just dont want to mess anything up. I can do basic electrical work. Thanks.

Old 06-01-14, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
I have a push button from my old speakers. It has two wires coming from it
Doesn't tell us much. How about a picture of it ?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

You will connect the black wire to ground so almost any switch can be used to switch red to power your speakers.

Old 06-01-14, 06:37 PM
Hopefully this comes through.

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-14, 07:53 PM
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-04-14, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
That switch will work fine if it's a push once for on and push again for off. You wouldn't want a switch where you would have to hold the button in for the speakers to work.

You'll install that switch in between your 12v+ source and the red wire to the speaker system.
The black wire gets connected directly to ground.

Old 06-05-14, 10:05 AM
I got this one instead. It looks a little more sturdy. It says on the back one to line the other to load. What I understand is: that's all on the positive line. So is that before my inline fuse or after? I still have to have it mounted where I can reach it also. Not much length to work with. Thanks again.

Attached Images  
Old 06-05-14, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
It can be before or after your fuse.

If you are getting power directly from the battery then the fuse and fuseholder should be right at the battery. It's important to not have any unfused wiring thru the bike.

Old 08-11-14, 11:35 PM
.??

Are you able to turn on the amp with the toggle switch? Mine is able to turn off when I turn off the engine but won't turn on unless I do it manually to the amp.

Old 08-12-14, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Not quite sure I'm following you. If you have a switch inline and connect directly to battery.... the engine should have no effect on it.