Yerf Dog 30032 - Tecumseh 6.5 PowerSport Issues

Old 07-22-14, 02:25 PM
Yerf Dog 30032 - Tecumseh 6.5 PowerSport Issues

Hello all!
I"m new to the forum and looking forward to getting responses to my issue. I have a Yerf Dog model 30032 with a Tecumseh 6.5 PowerSport engine. Currentyl the engine seems really weak and is running very rough. I have rebuilt the carb (bought kit, replaced all parts, and cleaned with carb cleaner & small wire to clean holes). The float remains the same. I'm wondering if I didn't do a very good job cleaning (even though i was very thorough) or if it is something else?

I did not change the oil but I did put in fresh gas. I noticed when i bough the kart the engine did not have an air filter so I bough one and replaced that.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-14, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
You have not said much about what is actually wrong with the engine other than "really weak". Is it difficult to start? Does it surge? Does it blow smoke? Is it missing? Does it need choke to keep running? Does it backfire?

I can't believe you disassembled and rebuilt the carb and haven't changed the oil... Change the oil! Especially since you said it did not have an air filter and how knows how old it is. Pay attention to what the oil looks like coming out. It will give you some idea as to how the engine was used.

Old 07-23-14, 06:48 AM
The engine is not difficult to start initially. Sometime it surges then dies out and it's tough to restart.

In the process of changing the oil. I did notice that the oil level was fairly low so I had topped it off, just to see how the engine would run.

Old 07-23-14, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
The surging and dying could be a carburetor problem. The low oil and tough to start could mean low compression. Change the oil and fill it to the proper level so you know exactly how much oil it has. Then run it for a while and see if the oil level changes. It's important to note if the oil level goes up or down.

Old 07-23-14, 10:29 AM
Check the oil after the engine has cooled from running for a bit, correct? What would a low & high level mean?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-14, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
If the carburetor has a stuck or leaking float it will allow excess fuel by that can migrate into the crank and cause the oil level to rise. This is doubly bad because it dilutes the oil which can increase engine wear.

If the oil level drops it has to be going somewhere. Either a leaking shaft seal or the piston, rings or the valve guides may be worn and letting oil get by which might cause smoking. A leaking crank seal is easy to spot as it will leave a puddle. Then a compression or blow down test can help determine if it's a piston/ring or a valve related problem.