Honda Gx390 (Chinese generator) need advice replacing carb

Old 08-28-14, 07:43 AM
Honda Gx390 (Chinese generator) need advice replacing carb

I purchase a generator I'm being told is a Chinese replica. I'm having a fuel delivery issue. My question is have you ever tried to replace a solenoid controlled carb ( I 390 CA51 Amazon) with a manual or adjustable choke carb (*Replace #16100-ZF6-V01 Amazon). It seems like this would make my life so much easier. I'm having difficulty finding parts, I have found the Honda gx390 is almost identical. The mountings are the same as well as the attachment on top for governor set up. Thanks for all the help. SEE ATTACHED PHOTOS (my generator, my solenoid carb, the carb I'd like to replace it with.Any cheap online site that are great for small engine parts, gaskets ect.?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-14, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Hopefully Cheese will be along soon. He pretty much has everything committed to memory.

I have swapped carburetor types though not on your specific engine. You are right. Sometimes just doing things manually can be easier and more reliable though I have to ask what is so wrong that you're considering changing carb types? Obviously best would be to get it running properly the way it was designed.

Old 08-28-14, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the reply I've cleaned the carb two times after the second time it runs great for four a couple seconds then I have to close the choke it will run for a few minutes like it's starving for fuel then it shakes to a hard stop. Two small engine shops in town not willing to help me find the gaskets I need because it's a replica and has no model number. Good compression, good fire, my next step is to adjust the valve clearance, add new fuel with gaskets I'm making from felpro gasket material. My last thought is that it is sucking air so I'm going to seal it up tight I've cleaned the carb well and see if that works. To answer your question it has a vacuum assisted choke with a intake spacer that appears to be getting additional air from a regulator ath the choke being adjusted by the governor. So with all that as well as the solenoid controlled fuel I just figured if I went manual I could adjust the fuel air mixture it myself. Yes I have checked voltage to the solenoid and it does work. It's odd though it actually extended out when energized.

Old 08-29-14, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
Has it every run properly? If not I would return it if possible.