go kart ignition problem

Old 09-10-14, 09:52 PM
go kart ignition problem

I need some help....I helped out a friend with a go kart ..I don't know the brand name but here goes....when u turn the key nothing happens,,,i checked the obvious kill switch next to the ignition..i jumped the selinoid and it started up....I checked the wires from the ignition for damage and ran a continuity check they were good....I swapped out the ignition and the cdi and it still does nothing...any help on this would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-14, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
Well, you've verified that the starter works and the engine runs so that rules out the coil, solenoid or anything else on the engine. That leaves you with the key/ignition switch and the wires leading to/from it.

Old 09-11-14, 07:56 AM
I checked them both visually and with my multimeter they are good..i have continuity thru them....is there anything else I can check

Old 09-11-14, 08:02 AM
also put a new ignition in and a new cdi...this is stumping me

Old 09-11-14, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
I am confused why you're replacing so many engine components but say the engine starts and runs if you jump the solenoid.

Old 09-11-14, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you jump the solenoid and it works, and you have verified that you have voltage from the start position or switch to the solenoid, then the internal switch in the solenoid is faulty. Replace the solenoid.

Old 09-11-14, 10:49 AM
I will try that thanks.....I figured the problem was the ignition and it came with a new cdi so I figured that was everything ..I never thought about the solenoid cause it seemed to work...

Old 09-12-14, 10:28 AM
Many factory-made gocarts require you push in the brake to crank it over. Look for a pressure switch on the master cylinder.

Old 09-13-14, 05:08 PM
There is another safety switch somewhere in the circuit. Brake, drivers seat...check for that also