Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What type of adhesive to use?

VA

09-23-14, 12:02 PM   #1  
What type of adhesive to use?

I was attempting to remove the backfire screen from the airbox on my Honda CRF230F when I realized it is glued in place. Since I have now compromised the seal, I would like to remove the screen and re-glue it. I'll also be cleaning it at the same time because I got rim grease all over the perimeter of the screen. What type of adhesive would work best to adhere the metal screen to the plastic airbox? I'm assuming it would need to remain flexible and be waterproof, but at the same time not permanent so I can remove the screen in the future to clean it again if necessary. Would regular silicon caulking work?

Last edited by mossman; 09-23-14 at 12:19 PM.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

09-23-14, 12:10 PM   #2  
I'd probably use something like a black RTV gasket sealant.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

VA

09-23-14, 12:20 PM   #3  
This product was recommended on a website I just came across detailing how to remove, clean, and reassemble the air box on a dirt bike: Amazon.com: 3M 08008 Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive Tube - 5 oz.: Automotive

or...http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...sealant-detail should do the trick (as recommended by Gunguy45).

Super Moderator

AZ

09-23-14, 03:55 PM   #4  
The second one is close to what I would use, but I use the high temp gasket maker. It resists gas and oil if that's any sort of an issue in the location you need it. Gasket Makers : Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

NJ

09-23-14, 05:57 PM   #5  
I have and use the black weatherstrip adhesive all the time ...... great stuff but the silicone is definitely a better choice here.

VA

09-24-14, 06:18 AM   #6  
The Permatex website says the Black Silicone adhesive sealant resists oil as well so it sounds like it will be okay. Keep in mind whatever product I use must not only seal the screen to the box but secure it to the box as well (there are no screws), which is why a product with the word "adhesive" in it seems like the way to go.

Search this Thread