Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

last year I had a no start issue with a 1986 G2 golf cart serial J38 011918

09-27-14, 06:29 PM   #1  

I replaced the battery as it was old and needed replacement anyways.
discovered it was the fuel filter was original and no good any more.
The cart ran since replacing the fuel filter but still was running a bit rough with issues
periodically with starting and a slight hesitation.
now a year later almost to the day I have issues with no start again. I have replaced the spark plug
that was carboned up like it was running very rich not sure what to do at this point i did remove the
spark plug and put the cap back on and held it to metal, at which point the engine will
turn if the spark plug is installed the engine will not turn. so at this point I am not sure if i
need to do a valve adjustment or if i need to replace a solenoid. I am no good at troubleshooting
but good at walking through if someone directs me .. I am used to working on cars but not on a
golf cart anyone can give me a suggestion would appreciate the help... thanks in advance or possibly a neutral switch or ignition switch?
I do know there is no fuse on the ignition line i did note on a video someone said that could resolve a no start issue I could not find a fuse link on this model anywhere.
this is almost like some older cars I used to have just replaced all new tires and now the darn thing isnt starting.. hate when that happens.. but then i didnt know much about cars so it was easier to junk them.. now i know more how to get around an engine so i figure it is worth the time and effort to fix it before giving up totally. just hate when you replace tires and then the engine decides to screw with you..
I started a new thread so as not to confuse last years issue with this one, not sure it isnt fuel related but I think it is more on the lines of not enough spark.. I could be mistaken.. but i forgot what i did to check if fuel wasnt getting there last year so not sure how to feed gas to carb under seat to know if it is starved of gas or light on spark.. and it appears it has compression since it is locked up with plug in place but lacking something to ignite and run.. correct me if I am wrong anywhere I think age is stealing my memories..

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

09-28-14, 04:57 AM   #2  
That's a lot of typing and I'm having a hard time following it all. It sounds like you said the engine will turn over if you remove the spark plug but it won't when the plug is installed. Then I'm curious why you talk so much about a solenoid, neutral switch and other electrical items? What's making you focus on electrical when the engine can turn over with the spark plug removed?

In a nutshell the G2 has stone simple everything so basic auto diagnostic skills should be able to take care of anything. If turning the key causes the starter to engage then the solenoid and any fuses are OK. Since the engine turns with the spark plug removed but not with it in makes me think it just doesn't have enough oomph to fight the compression. First I would go the everything that feeds the starter motor looking for weak or corroded connections. Also insure that the battery is charged and even try another known good battery just to confirm. Just because the battery was replaced last year doesn't mean it's still good.

Had you said that the starter engages and the engine turns over but won't start then I'd say check for spark. Remove the spark plug, connect it to the spark plug ware and hold it to the engine case and engage the starter. If there is no spark it could be a bad coil or the coil is being grounded by a shorted wire or bad ignition switch.

10-11-14, 05:51 PM   #3  
well 13 months later the battery we bought last year turns out to have bad cells.. replaced the battery and she is running like a champ once again I am going to focus on cleaning or replacing the carb and relay and fuel pump before they end up leaving it sit I am not good at troubleshooting I can fix anything if you tell me what it is that is wrong.. simple basic issues like brake and steering issues tires and such I can figure out but as for electrical issues and figuring no start unless it is battery or alternators I am not that good at .. used to be better the older i get the more i forget..thanks to any who helped.. the cells were bad in battery .. i guess since it was purchased and she finally ran it out of anything good left in it. and she was charging it almost everytime she needed to use it which she didnt tell me until today.. when i replaced the battery..

Group Moderator

NC

10-12-14, 05:54 AM   #4  
Sometimes golf cart electrical systems can be difficult even though they are pretty simple. People sometimes re-wire parts of the system or bypass things as they quit working so when you have an old cart you never know if it matches the factory wiring until you dig into it.

You mentioned replacing the carb. Is there a reason you think it needs replacing? Yamaha used Mikuni's which were good quality and easily repairable. If there is a problem I would clean or repair the one you've got if it needs it. Be very cautious about replacing the carb. If you pay less than $150 you will be getting a Chinese clone carburetor. All I have seen are lower in quality and some are downright terrible. If you do want to replace the carb I would spend the $300 and get the OEM Mikuni for which you'll likely have to contact a Yamaha cart dealer or parts supplier as almost all online cart parts places sell only the clones. Still, I'd start with a simple disassembly and cleaning of your existing carb.

Search this Thread