Winter battery maintenance / charging

Old 10-07-14, 04:03 AM
Winter battery maintenance / charging

Here's my question.....

I have three motorcycle batteries that I need to keep charged through the winter months. One is a sealed glass matte battery. The other two are the old style wet / flooded batteries. The ones that have the 6 small caps on top, that you remove to top off the acid in them, and the vent tube that runs along there side.

I live in a smaller apartment. I have one of the Battery Tender Junior trickle chargers.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

Will it be safe for me to use this charger in my kitchen ?? The kitchen is open to my small living room, so I will be within 20 feet of the charger all the time. I'm hoping, since it is a trickle charger, that there will be no worries about acid vapors causing me any health issues, as well as any vapors damaging anything in the kitchen.

What do you think ??

Thanks.....

Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-14, 05:03 AM
If you look at the directions I believe they say to use in a well ventilated area. And not for indoor use. But I'm not sure.

Old 10-07-14, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
Charging does not create or release acid vapors. The charging process generates pure hydrogen gas. Pretty harmless except for the flammability.

They say to never charge a battery indoors but... If you are only trickle charging or giving them a booster charge once a month while in storage I don't think you will be generating much gas. I would not leave a battery on a trickle charger in or outdoors. Rather I'd put the batteries on a regular charger once a month to maintain their charge. It won't take much to top them off and then you can put them back into storage someplace where they are protected from freezing.

Old 10-07-14, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replies folks !! I'm stuck with charging the batteries in house. I suppose I can do it by an opened window.

My past experience with the trickle charger has been, that it only takes maybe two hours to get the batteries charge topped off. So I would only have to do this three times a month, at two hours a pop.

This is why my initial concern wasn't to high. But I am getting old, senile, and forgetful. So there is a good chance for error, or forgetting about the batteries charging for a few hours longer than needed. This is why I came here to get more knowledgeable input, to try to avoid messing up my health.

Wouldn't putting the batteries on a regular charger create more hydrogen gas, as compared to the trickle charger ?? Or would the shorter charge time with the regular charger kind of void out any difference ??

Thanks....

Old 10-07-14, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Modern trickle chargers, at least the better ones like you have are actually battery maintainers. Once they have the battery charged, they idle, checking the battery every so often. If they sense the battery is discharging, they kick on to bring it back to full charge.

I leave mine on my scoot for a week or two and, if I remember, switch it to the lawn tractor battery for another week. Then repeat.

Old 10-07-14, 11:50 AM
I've been leaving my battery tender on, only until the Led's signify the battery has a full charge. Then I've been taking the charger off. I've been doing this due to not having a safe, indoor climate controlled area, to be able to leave the charger on for any length of time.

I just put a full charge in my sealed battery this afternoon, and it only took 45 minutes for it to reach full charge. Now I have the charger on one of the flood / wet type batteries. It looks as if this battery might take a bit longer time to get fully charged. Luckily, today I'm able to have the windows open, and a ceiling fan circulating the air. It will be a bit more difficult doing this in the middle of winter. It's certainly going to raise my heating bill...LOL

The two wet batteries are new to me, as I just recently picked up on a couple used bikes to mess with. So I have no idea how well they will hold a charge.