2000 Polaris Xplorer 4x4 250 no spark/no start...

Old 10-25-14, 05:43 AM
2000 Polaris Xplorer 4x4 250 no spark/no start...

I'll try to make a long story short here. A few weeks ago, I returned my father-in-law's Polaris to him after some pretty major repairs (bored cylinder, replaced piston & rings, crankcase seals, head and jug gaskets, and cleaned dirt dauber nests out of carburetor). It ran great when he took it away, he was very happy, it was out of my driveway and life was SO GOOD. Now I've got it back with no start and no spark. When I disconnect the black wire from the CDI box, spark returns, but seems kinda weak. Per the troubleshooting guide in the manual, I looked for shorts to ground in the ignition switch, the start/run/stop switch, and the reverse RPM limiter. only found a very high resistance path to ground through the rev limiter; since it's encapsulated electronics, this could be normal, yes? Plus, spark did not return when I eliminated the black wire at the limiter, or unplugged the limiter completely.
I then went to measure ignition coil resistance. The manual wants 0.3 ohms across the primary, 6300 ohms through the secondary without the resistor plug cap, and 5000 through the plug cap. I got about 0.9 on the primary, around 6100 on the secondary and about 5300 through the cap. High reading on the primary side causing my problem?
Out of curiosity, I started checking for charge and exciter coil outputs, but with only a multi-meter without a peak-hold feature, results were somewhat inconclusive. Also, I haven't been able to determine how to check out the rev limiter or the CDI unit without the engine running. Dad's fixed income budget makes it critical that I find and replace only the faulty components. Deer season starting soon makes it desirable that I make it happen for him pretty quickly. So, any advice/input at all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-14, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't see you mentioning the battery. What shape is it in?

Old 10-26-14, 05:41 PM
Thanks, goldstar. No, I guess I didn't mention battery condition. Replaced the battery just before returning the vehicle to my father-in-law. It had been turning the engine over very well during this whole ordeal, so i really hadn't given it much thought. But yesterday, I checked and found 11.5 volts standing voltage. Threw the charger on it, 2 amps, for a couple hours or so. Have not checked it since (been at work today), and may not get near it again 'til Thursday. But that may throw something else in the mix to look at... Let you know what happens next when it does. Thanks again - Chris

Search this Thread