Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

"New" Late Model Year Dirt Bike Value

VA

10-27-14, 01:59 PM   #1  
"New" Late Model Year Dirt Bike Value

I have my eyes on a Honda CRF250X dirt bike and I found a dealer in NC that has a few 2012 models for sale that are "New", meaning never been sold. Should I expect to pay the MSRP because the bikes are technically new, or should I expect to pay the blue book for that year, or somewhere in between? Also, should I be leery of dealer stock that is nearly three years old? I'm wondering why these bikes have been sitting around unsold for so long.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

10-27-14, 05:27 PM   #2  
Honda, as any manufacturer, builds what they think they can sell. Sometimes they hit the mark and other times either over or under produce a given model. They have not made the VTX1300 for at least four years. There are still a few around the country.

As with any vehicle purchase, dicker with the dealer. Get your facts together first and then see what you can do. The dealer has to make a profit, but not a years worth from you. Good luck.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

VA

12-03-14, 06:31 AM   #3  
Are there certain things I should look out for on a nearly 3-year-old bike that has been sitting at a dealer? Is it okay for a new bike to sit unused for that amount of time?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-03-14, 09:07 AM   #4  
Gaskets, rubber and such can dry out and crack. How long is the warranty? I would think if such issues exist they would be come apparent within a few months of use.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

12-03-14, 11:23 AM   #5  
Sitting in a somewhat controlled environment, and not being driven daily or left in the rain, snow, or baking sun, the gaskets and rubber, including the tires, should be in good shape.

I know that you have been considering this bike for a while now. Tell Santa or just gift yourself.

'Tis is the season. Ride on.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-03-14, 02:31 PM   #6  
Buy it today and sell it tomorrow, what could you get for a three year old bike, old new stock or not?

Search this Thread