Tecumseh 9.0 hp Craftsman Snowblower Start

Old 11-03-14, 12:11 PM
Tecumseh 9.0 hp Craftsman Snowblower Start

Craftsman 28" Tecumseh 9.0 hp Model 31AS6HEG799
I'm a new homeowner and don't have a lot of experience with snowblowers. The previous owner left the snowblower for me, and I need help getting it started.

It has an electric start, which I would prefer to use. Since I don't have much experience, it's entirely possible I am missing a step.

I checked the oil. It was full.
I opened the choke all the way.
I plugged it in.
I primed it 3 times.
I put the throttle at about half.
I pushed start.

The engine tries to turn over but doesn't actually start. I tried it again with the throttle at full speed and had the same results.

What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-14, 01:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may be doing everything right. Here are a few things to consider. Did it have gas in it from the previous owner? Have you inspected the spark plug? When you say that you opened the choke, do you really mean that you closed it, which is the normal cold start position.

Old gas can gum up the carburetor. A quick read on another site indicates that this carb is not the best - you may need to clean it. Is the wire attached to the spark plug and have you examined the plug for condition, gap, etc.

Old 11-03-14, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Try removing the spark plug and pour 1/2 teaspoon of gas into the cylinder. Re-install the plug and try starting. If it sputters, fires or runs a second then you've confirmed that the engine has a fuel problem. Probably a gummed-up carburetor.

Old 11-03-14, 06:08 PM
I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum! If it needs to be moved, please go ahead.

The gas is old. It's been there at least 11 months, possibly longer. I don't know where to find the spark plug. I had the choke position open... is this wrong?

Old 11-04-14, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
You close the choke for starting which makes the mixture richer (more fuel for the amount of air). If you look down the throat of the carburetor you'll see the choke butterfly close, blocking much of the airflow into the carburetor.

Old 11-04-14, 08:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is a link to the engine manual. This will show you where everything is and how to remove or check it.

You can also go to Sears site and get an owners manual.

The spark plug should be in plain sight, but you will have to dig to see the choke butterfly.

http://www.tecumsehpower.com/Custome...181-630-14.pdf

Old 11-04-14, 09:16 AM
Thank you. I'll read over the manual and learn more about it. Maybe I just need fresh gas?

Old 11-04-14, 10:21 AM
My Toro has a fuel shut off valve in the fuel line, does yours?

Old 11-04-14, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
New gas would be a start. Check for a fuel shutoff as SLJ2137694 suggests.

As any internal combustion engine, the better you treat it, the more reliable it usually is.
Every season you should start with fresh gas, an oil change, and clean and gap the spark plug.

Using a product like seafoam or stabill in the gas reduces the effects of any gas left in the carburetor at the end of the season. You should run the carb dry at the end of the season. A little will remain and the additive reduces the gumming of the internal carb parts.

Old 11-20-14, 08:16 AM
An update!

I do have a fuel shut off. After reading the manual and looking specifically for the shut off, I located it, and it was turned to off. I got the gas flowing and it started right up It smoked for a bit so I let it run for 10-15 minutes. Thanks everyone for your help.